Abandoning our ex forces

stihlmadasever

19 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

I didn't say most ex soldiers weren't good guys..  I dare say most are.. thats not what I was addressing..

I'd like to see a profile of the ages of most men claiming PTSD.. their average ages..  

I suspect most would be somewhere below their lower thirties..  I also expect that PTSD  cases nosedive after that..

Which is to say most cases are reported as PTSD but in reality its just young men transitioning from teenagers to men and having some trouble getting there..  

I wouldn't want to compare our soldiers to prisoners but its much the same thing, most people in prison are in of a certain age..  by the time young men get to their early thirties they decide they have to grow up..  as do, I suspect those struggling ex soldiers when they reach their early thirties..

my theory in a nutshell..

A spectrum of our youth are gonna struggle from their teenage years till they get into their late twenties, early thirties..

Some on this spectrum will end up in prison, some will leave the army and struggle, some will be mostly unemployed..   

In time, all or most of them will realize they have to grow up and get on with life in the real world, come to terms with their own shortcomings..   this usually before their mid thirties...

I do realize that some of our soldiers do genuinely suffer PTSD, but I suspect not half as many as claimed to be suffering..  I expect the majority to be just going through growing pains..

I don't think it helps anyone to give any of these lads a ready excuse as to why they find life hard or difficult, better to be truthful and tell em to look at themselves, all the better to force some serious introspection that they might realize all the sooner they have to grow up and get on with their lives..

stop pandering, kick em up the arse..

"Going through growing pains" ? What sort of clown are you? Kids, because that's what they are, are seeing things they never should see, mates blown to bits, children killed, all sorts of things you could never imagine in your worst nightmares. Why don't you stop trying to be controversial to get attention, because that's what you're doing. Final word, why don't you give them, in your words "A kick up the arse" and see where that leaves you. Hopefully in A&E. Stop talking shite, you're not doing yourself any favours. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boggle4137 said:

Vespasian, age hasn't got a great deal to do with who suffers from ptsd, and using your logic if younger people where more prone to it then that doesn't discount them "not growing up" and "getting on with it" mentally they can't. It's like trying to tell someone who has anxiety not to be anxious.

I thank my lucky stars I haven't got ptsd from when I served but guys who are better than me in all ways, who I've been on tour with have suffered from the effects of conflict. Now some of them where seargent level and above, age doesn't make you a bit tougher or less likely to develop mental illnesses.

But don't get me wrong, some cretins who have nothing wrong with them will try it on, that's unavoidable, and yes, those people do need to grow up. Not people who are genuinely are in bits., 

See this is what I call a reasonable reply, not a rant that doesn't address any issues I raised..

The real problem isn't PTSD  but the the army not filtering out those individuals who they must know ain't ever gonna be suitable to be sent out on active duty...   would be better all round if they held those men back or didn't let em in in the first place...

wouldn't be hard to thin the applicants down, what was your last job, how long did you do it for..  how many jobs have you had..  whats your level of education...   why do you want to join the army.

Does the army life excite you or is it something to do until you work out what you want to do in life..

Might not have as many volunteers, but it would raise the quality of the common soldiery..

Obviously in times of war the bar might be lowered..  

1 hour ago, David Cropper said:

"Going through growing pains" ? What sort of clown are you? Kids, because that's what they are, are seeing things they never should see, mates blown to bits, children killed, all sorts of things you could never imagine in your worst nightmares. 

Kids.....   exactly my point..  

1 hour ago, stihlmadasever said:

Some brilliant posts here guys.Thanks

So back on track

Any ideas how we can address this problem?

Any ideas would be welcome.

Im tryin to get a couple of local lads i know on board and arrange a meeting with my Mp and Msp and try to highlight this issue.

Something must be done

Another charity, High Ground https://highground-uk.org/ is doing some outstanding work getting ex Services a look at 'rural' careers and would love to hear from any employers willing to provide a 'look at life' or even give up some time to talk about their sector. A lot of the guys and girls with serious trauma or PTSD find horticulture based work really beneficial in rebuilding lives. 

• Like 4

Another charity, High Ground https://highground-uk.org/ is doing some outstanding work getting ex Services a look at 'rural' careers and would love to hear from any employers willing to provide a 'look at life' or even give up some time to talk about their sector. A lot of the guys and girls with serious trauma or PTSD find horticulture based work really beneficial in rebuilding lives. 

Good point, working with trees has saved a good friends life and put him back to some normality...
  • Like 1

@Vespasian you don’t know how someone will react to active duty before they have been on active duty, it’s a suck it and see situation as mental health can’t be visually measured. Basic training and phase 2 training whittles out the people who aren’t capable but it doesn’t mean the capable can’t go awry, we are all only human after all. 

PTSD is a funny one, people who claim to have it probably don’t those who genuinely have it are diagnosed and a lot of those are ex/servicemen/women due to what they have been through and seen. 

The forces used to have a great program where if you where injured badly you’d have a job for life in admin however Blair put paid to that by making all forces admin online on a computer program which saved wages on admin staff which a lot where as I said previously badly injured and could no longer serve on the front line. 

Its a great thread this where the answers are difficult to come by, the solutions vary as the ptsd problem the solution is not money per se, it’s a service that’s needed to counsel our guys after and offer guidance however the homeless issue well that needs money per se to offer shelter and food etc. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

See this is what I call a reasonable reply, not a rant that doesn't address any issues I raised..

The real problem isn't PTSD  but the the army not filtering out those individuals who they must know ain't ever gonna be suitable to be sent out on active duty...   would be better all round if they held those men back or didn't let em in in the first place...

wouldn't be hard to thin the applicants down, what was your last job, how long did you do it for..  how many jobs have you had..  whats your level of education...   why do you want to join the army.

Does the army life excite you or is it something to do until you work out what you want to do in life..

Might not have as many volunteers, but it would raise the quality of the common soldiery..

Obviously in times of war the bar might be lowered..  

Ignorant twat! You know sod all though think you're some sort of intellectual.  I suspect my education was a bit better than yours, I may be wrong, but doubt it. I was a grammar school boy, couldn't wait to join the Army, as soon as I reached 17, joined my Regiment in Ireland at 17 and a half. Stop giving out your stupid opinions of which you have no knowledge to comment on. I realise that you have got the reaction you crave, a bit of attention, I should know better at my age than biting. You really are beneath contempt. 

• Like 5