Abandoning our ex forces

stihlmadasever

15 minutes ago, Boggle4137 said:

I understand where you are coming from comparing ww1 soldiers to modern day counterparts, however being shot at, blown up or being caught in a situation where lives are being lost, is still traumatic, no matter how you look at it. I'm sure if we knew what we did today, with the services we have now some of those guys would have been looked after.

Of course it is, and you don't have to be a serving soldier to encounter PTSD. At the end of the day, we no longer have conscription, so it is effectively a lifestyle choice. Much the same as the fire fighters that tackled Grenfell and probably encountered more trauma in one night than most service personnel see in an entire career. What is good, is that it is being recognised in its various forms which is clearly the first requirement before any treatment can take place.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, stihlmadasever said:

What the hell is going on?

It seems like every week i hear,read or see on tv a lot of our ex service personel being abandoned on our streets.

Ive lost 1 mate to alcohol and homelessness and im damned if i ll lose another!

Why isnt our government or at least the MOD doing more to address this issue?

We know how ptsd has affected many of our personel so why isnt more being done?

I know from my time in the services that alcohol is deep seated in the forces way of life and it is used as a way to unwind and decompress.Many soldiers coming back from theatre find themselves on civvy street just cant adjust.

Some,if not most,are too proud or embarressed to ask or seek help until they have hit the street dependant on drugs and alcohol,alienating the loved ones, who try too help,but get pushed further and further away because the squaddie mindset it too carry on and make do.

Our lads and lasses are NOT being helped by our government,infact the only help seems to be coming from those ex forces who have suffered themselves and are good enough to put those experiences into use to help others in the same situation,most of these are run with charity contributions.

I dont proffess to have the answers but perhaps if more pressure was applied to our government more would be done.

Im angry,so fuckin angry

This is spot on, mate. Well written, and from the heart.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, David Cropper said:

I was beginning to warm to you recently as I found you amusing. You are talking the biggest load of crap ever. You know sod all  what ex forces go through. To say, in your own opinionated, totally ignorant way, that most young men won't fit into civilian life and are left with the option of going into the Forces because they can't do anything else, shows what a complete arse you are. Lots of employers take on ex forces because they will do most things required of them. I can't carry on this rant because I'm getting so wound up. You really are a complete tosser.

9 hours ago, Vespasian said:

Perhaps the army attracts a higher percentage of young men who would never easily fit into civilian life to begin with..   its why these men join up in the first place..

when they leave the services, its the easiest thing in the world to say they're suffering from PTSD..  When in fact they might be better served to tell em to pull their boots up and man up to the job of getting on in the real world..   

clean your room, make your bed and get out the door, look for a job....    and by the way, if you leave a job, get sacked from a job, you don't expect your ex employer to keep an eye on you do you..

Don't get me wrong I'm all for the army helping out genuine cases of psychologically damaged individuals who've fought on the front lines..  but I think every man and his dog is using PTSD as cover for the shortcomings that they had previous to being in the army to begin with..

I think the people you are talking about who use the ptsd card is extremely rare, most ex soldiers are good guys wanting to work and have a good career, no one wants to fail when they leave. Some can cope, some can't, either way if you look at it if you take on an ex squadie with good character that is treated well, you will have a guy/girl on your force that will break thier back for you.

Unfortunately like in any industry some people don't adjust and they can't get by,  you can't collectively judge all of them because some of them have issues.

• Like 4

What the hell is going on?
It seems like every week i hear,read or see on tv a lot of our ex service personel being abandoned on our streets.

Totally agree that the government should be doing more but until they do (if ever) I’ll keep supporting charities like H4H and Veteransfoundation.
Shouldn’t have to, but that’s life.
IMG_1539693439.711794.jpg
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Boggle4137 said:

I think the people you are talking about who use the ptsd card is extremely rare, most ex soldiers are good guys wanting to work and have a good career, no one wants to fail when they leave. Some can cope, some can't, either way if you look at it if you take on an ex squadie with good character that is treated well, you will have a guy/girl on your force that will break thier back for you.

Unfortunately like in any industry some people don't adjust and they can't get by,  you can't collectively judge all of them because some of them have issues.

I didn't say most ex soldiers weren't good guys..  I dare say most are.. thats not what I was addressing..

I'd like to see a profile of the ages of most men claiming PTSD.. their average ages..  

I suspect most would be somewhere below their lower thirties..  I also expect that PTSD  cases nosedive after that..

Which is to say most cases are reported as PTSD but in reality its just young men transitioning from teenagers to men and having some trouble getting there..  

I wouldn't want to compare our soldiers to prisoners but its much the same thing, most people in prison are in of a certain age..  by the time young men get to their early thirties they decide they have to grow up..  as do, I suspect those struggling ex soldiers when they reach their early thirties..

my theory in a nutshell..

A spectrum of our youth are gonna struggle from their teenage years till they get into their late twenties, early thirties..

Some on this spectrum will end up in prison, some will leave the army and struggle, some will be mostly unemployed..   

In time, all or most of them will realize they have to grow up and get on with life in the real world, come to terms with their own shortcomings..   this usually before their mid thirties...

I do realize that some of our soldiers do genuinely suffer PTSD, but I suspect not half as many as claimed to be suffering..  I expect the majority to be just going through growing pains..

I don't think it helps anyone to give any of these lads a ready excuse as to why they find life hard or difficult, better to be truthful and tell em to look at themselves, all the better to force some serious introspection that they might realize all the sooner they have to grow up and get on with their lives..

stop pandering, kick em up the arse..

32 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

I didn't say most ex soldiers weren't good guys..  I dare say most are.. thats not what I was addressing..

I'd like to see a profile of the ages of most men claiming PTSD.. their average ages..  

I suspect most would be somewhere below their lower thirties..  I also expect that PTSD  cases nosedive after that..

Which is to say most cases are reported as PTSD but in reality its just young men transitioning from teenagers to men and having some trouble getting there..  

I wouldn't want to compare our soldiers to prisoners but its much the same thing, most people in prison are in of a certain age..  by the time young men get to their early thirties they decide they have to grow up..  as do, I suspect those struggling ex soldiers when they reach their early thirties..

A spectrum of our youth are gonna struggle from their teenage years till they get into their late twenties, early thirties..

Some on this spectrum will end up in prison, some will leave the army and struggle, some will be mostly unemployed..   

In time, all or most of them will realize they have to grow up and get on with life in the real world, come to terms with their own shortcomings..   this usually before their mid thirties...

I do realize that some of our soldiers do genuinely suffer PTSD, but I suspect not half as many as claimed to be suffering..  I expect the majority to be just going through growing pains..

I don't think it helps anyone to give any of these lads a ready excuse as to why they find life hard or difficult, better to be truthful and tell em to look at themselves, all the better to force some serious introspection that they might realize all the sooner they have to grow up and get on with their lives..

An absolute parcel of shite.

You ever seen war first hand?

Then you have no opinion that matters to those who have.

This thread aint for you

Im trying to be tactful here

Really tryin hard

• Like 6

You clearly have no knowledge or experience of PTSD or what people actually go through when they are in theatre protecting your freedom and way of life.
I would strongly suggest you keep ill informed, clearly un-factual and uneducated opinions to your self or get educated, go and meet and talk to people in or ex serving military about their experiences.
I bet you wouldn’t dare say anything like this to soldiers. These guys and girls kept you safe, you owe them everything and any help they get.
You in my eyes are pure scum.
  • Like 7

Vespasian, age hasn't got a great deal to do with who suffers from ptsd, and using your logic if younger people where more prone to it then that doesn't discount them "not growing up" and "getting on with it" mentally they can't. It's like trying to tell someone who has anxiety not to be anxious.

I thank my lucky stars I haven't got ptsd from when I served but guys who are better than me in all ways, who I've been on tour with have suffered from the effects of conflict. Now some of them where seargent level and above, age doesn't make you a bit tougher or less likely to develop mental illnesses.

But don't get me wrong, some cretins who have nothing wrong with them will try it on, that's unavoidable, and yes, those people do need to grow up. Not people who are genuinely are in bits., 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1