sprockets

tree-fancier123

4 minutes ago, Stere said:

Is there anyway to minimize rate of sprocket wear?

0.5mm isn't much think all my sprockets are more than that.

Stihl sell a special tool to measure:

31fc53af1584460db3cf627b8ef8f9ac.jpg

Asume  pointy bits are  0.5mm?

Don't use your saw .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Stere said:

I thought something about having chain correct tension & oiling well would make a difference etc.

Chain tension will make a bit of difference, but in the end they're a consumable part. 

In answer to the original question, when I was managing lads I'd replace when the bottom of the gulley got dimpled. In an ideal world you'd probably change every 2-3 chains regardless, but with multi-user saws (and lots of digging ditches) the rate of  chain consumption seemed a lot higher than owner/user saws and the teeth always disappeared before drive link wear problems appeared. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, tree-fancier123 said:

seems like throwing money away - read an article about a millionaire who cuts the top off a toothpaste tube to scrape out a last couple of days worth

It takes dedication, I do it with hand cream as well :D

• Like 1

Sprockets last a long time and generally people are lazy or uninitiated and don't bother changing them until I get my hands on them. You can reduce the wear on the rim or sprocket by learning to adjust chain tension correctly and ensuring the oiler is putting enough oil on the bar. I usually change spur sprockets once the spur has indentations on the ends of the lobes - not really worth not doing whilst the saw is in bits!