Whats this wood?

Woodworks

5 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Cut up enough in recent years but really not sure on this one.

It came in some loads which were supposed to be beech,ash and sycamore. Glanced at the load and thought oh good plenty of ash is this lot but once split realised it's not ash. Weight and grain seem like sycamore but I have never seen sycamore with bark like this. Only thing of note it's shedding it's bark easily like chestnut does. Taken a few pictures of ash and the un identified wood. Unknown wood on the left in the top three pictures and on the right in the lower one. Think the wood on left in the lower one is sycamore just to confuse matters. 

IMG_20181014_171612.jpg

IMG_20181014_174443.jpg

IMG_20181014_180309.jpg

IMG_20181014_180322.jpg

looks like lime to me  but the smell should be distinctive

10 minutes ago, Countryboy said:

I was wondering if it is pop or lime. I had some lime last year and tried it on the log burner, but what a strong nasty smell it gave off. Burnt the rest in the woodland in the end

Lime is light as though, I still think it’s Maple spp, I have some field maple in my wood store that is smooth barked with really tight grain as described, it was growing in an Ash compartment, drawn up straight, looked similar when I was thinning it, had to look up at the crown to identify, I will post a photo for comparison when I get in if it’s not already dark.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The avantgardener said:

Lime is light as though, I still think it’s Maple spp, I have some field maple in my wood store that is smooth barked with really tight grain as described, it was growing in an Ash compartment, drawn up straight, looked similar when I was thinning it, had to look up at the crown to identify, I will post a photo for comparison when I get in if it’s not already dark.

I would have gone along with the pop but the wood itself is not like any pop I have seen. I will plane up some this evening and give some weights for it now it's dried. Maple fits the wood so much better but not found any with bark like this.