Wage! How much should the going rate be?

James905

No you turned over 400, take out of that insurance, advertising accountants costs vehicle costs the list go's on, a lot of subbies think it's all big money and belive me as the income go's up so will the outgoings then you start to need help and suddenly your paying someone who thinks they should get more so the circle begins again.

• Like 11

No you turned over 400, take out of that insurance, advertising accountants costs vehicle costs the list go's on, a lot of subbies think it's all big money and belive me as the income go's up so will the outgoings then you start to need help and suddenly your paying someone who thinks they should get more so the circle begins again.
Still have to take all that into account earning the 100 being a subby, minus a couple of things

So, Most companies have the kit you carry and you can't be insured felling a tree bigger than 15", you have no 1st aid certificate, no chipper ticket, no rigging tickets & I would need to get a 2nd individual if I feel the need to have a rescue climber onsite. 
I do not doubt you have the experience, but perhaps you need to invest in yourself to give employers the value for money they need.

Irespective of talent, people seem to forget that there is only a certain amount of money in any job. If you want to earn more money then you need to make things happen faster by either mechanising or employing more/better staff

So go hire some kid, fresh out of arb college.
Loads of tickets.
Completely useless as has no experience on sites.

2 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

So go hire some kid, fresh out of arb college.
Loads of tickets.
Completely useless as has no experience on sites.

The two subbies I use have 15 & 35 years experience each & have enough tickets to be insurable for basic tasks. I give them similar money you ask for without hesitation in Yorkshire........

• Like 1

14 hours ago, James905 said:

It's the reason all these small firms are sprouting up.

Climbers going on their own. I get paid 100pd as lead and I mean I set up organise climb, drag, chip, tip the lot!

Today I called it off to do my own work and will earn 400 without climbing more than 10ft up.

If firms paid more across the board then they would have more work with less of their staff leaving to go solo

If firms payed more your £400 pound job would become a £500 job to cover the higher wages and you'd be even more tempted to do your own thing.

Still have to take all that into account earning the 100 being a subby, minus a couple of things
Small van doing 45mpg and 80quid road tax and 300 insurance
Big tipper doing 20mpg if lucky 280 road tax 1500 insurance
No public liability no employee liability no personal indemnity no hired in plant no chipper insurance 4-5 grand saved.
Advertising well that's a personal thing how much you want to spend but if you want to get £400 jobs everyday you'll have to put min a grand a year in. Somewhere to run out of, a chipper or possibly a trailer and mash to start with, tipping charges.
If you work 220 days a year at 400 I'm up to about 50 a day costs give or take for the above then pay your helper 150 as that's been agreed what it should be your down to 200 so yes it's twice but then your off every Saturday and evening quoting and doing paperwork so adding 50% more hrs to your working week so for a shit load more hassle your actually not that much better off per hr till your established enough to take on bigger jobs or have a decent contract and even then you need 100% drive to do it.

Might get shot down for this post but I've seen so many lads try and fail because they just looked at the cheque in had and not what it actually cost them in reality to do the job.
  • Like 15

6 hours ago, openspaceman said:

No they wouldn't  because arboriculture is a luxury service and the elasticity of demand  is such that much of the work wouldn't get done at higher prices

Not sure about that.

The Demand would have stayed static,the supply has been reduced?

Pay/Wait/don't get it done at all,those choices still present themselves in a saturated market,however if the going rate was set by supply instead of demand,surely no one would be working for their current rate?

8 hours ago, Gray git said:

Small van doing 45mpg and 80quid road tax and 300 insurance
Big tipper doing 20mpg if lucky 280 road tax 1500 insurance
No public liability no employee liability no personal indemnity no hired in plant no chipper insurance 4-5 grand saved.
Advertising well that's a personal thing how much you want to spend but if you want to get £400 jobs everyday you'll have to put min a grand a year in. Somewhere to run out of, a chipper or possibly a trailer and mash to start with, tipping charges.
If you work 220 days a year at 400 I'm up to about 50 a day costs give or take for the above then pay your helper 150 as that's been agreed what it should be your down to 200 so yes it's twice but then your off every Saturday and evening quoting and doing paperwork so adding 50% more hrs to your working week so for a shit load more hassle your actually not that much better off per hr till your established enough to take on bigger jobs or have a decent contract and even then you need 100% drive to do it.

Might get shot down for this post but I've seen so many lads try and fail because they just looked at the cheque in had and not what it actually cost them in reality to do the job.

Boom ? Thank god someone with sence. 

Good post John :)

also do the sums 400 a day at 220 ? youve gone over vat limit aswell 

Edited by swinny
  • Like 2