Getting commercial contracts.

Mark Wileman

Hi guys,

I do a lot of work for large civil engineering companies with the various companies I sub into and I see a huge amount of work taking place elsewhere.  I much prefer land clearance/take downs to pruning apple trees and hedge cutting so trying to manouvre myself into the right position.

For the big dogs out there, how did you first get into commercial contracts?

Thanks,

Mark

2 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

The first question is: Have you got the money to wait 90-120 days for payment after you've run plant a paid staff? I'm sure plenty of people get paid quicker than that but it isn't the norm.

It depends on the size of the contract, smaller stuff yes, months at a time no!

6 hours ago, Mark Wileman said:

But I'm not talking tendering for the M1 vegetation management here, strimming a communal garden will do me for a start! ?

If that's what you are aiming for then just approach housing associations, small business units with vegetative areas or similar directly. Hello, this is what we do locally, please bear us in mind. Contact 500 a quarter and you mind start getting a few. 

You're going to find commercial GM rates are going to be crap. Far more money for the same work in domestic.  

Edited by richy_B

2 hours ago, richy_B said:

If that's what you are aiming for then just approach housing associations, small business units with vegetative areas or similar directly. Hello, this is what we do locally, please bear us in mind. Contact 500 a quarter and you mind start getting a few. 

You're going to find commercial GM rates are going to be crap. Far more money for the same work in domestic.  

Yeah that was a bit tongue in cheek, civils/developments/highways stuff is my aim.

I got onto the council framework this year, so its a start. 

I'm more curious on the ways to get on the radar of the Balfour, Amey, Bentley, Costain type companies, I assume they tender their work out to an existing list of contractors?