Are there any other women out there?

NatSabin

5 hours ago, cazeroo said:

Hi there, I'm a 'lady feller' ? mainly forestry, but I've done a bit of climbing / groundie too.   I studied countryside management and then Forestry and lowland management, and have been pretty much employed in that since I left college, apart from a few years off to have my son.  I wouldn't want to do anything else, fantastic people, fantastic industry. Good luck with your studies! xx

Thanks lovely! I enjoy the term 'lady feller' but I must admit it took me a second! ? I'm obviously starting on the ground and am doing my CS30/31 next month. I'm bugging the guys with lots of "why are you doing that?" but they're very obliging! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NatSabin said:

New member alert. I've just started my training as an arborist and am really enjoying it. I hear the guys mentioning ArbTalk so thought I'd check it out.

I've had to order men's PPE as women's chainsaw trousers and boots don't exist yet. 

I was wondering if there's any women on the forum? I've heard of a few but there doesn't seem to be any groups or anything to join.

I didn't know what picture to upload so here's me next to an insanely cool yew.

Thanks

Natalie

IMG_20180929_144602.jpg

Hi Nat?be nice to see more woman in the industry,I have a woman who groundies for me on weekends and when have bigger jobs on and she is as good if not better then any man or lad I have used somwould be good to see more woman coming into the industry.

As far as your PPE is concerned try the Arbortec Breathflex and Breathflex Pro range of chainsaw trousers.i work for Arbortec and at the APF we sold a lot of type A’s to lots of woman as they are light and great fit.All the best and hope all works out for you.

• Like 2

Hi welcome to arbtalk,there seems to be a few options now for females requiring ppe.

Pretty sure pfanner and arbortec are the two blazing trails in that respect.

I know a few female climbers and theyre great.

Im not one for judging anyone on gender or anything else except work ethic and timekeeping so its irrelevant to me,just do the job and be safe!

Hope you enjoy the industry, it can be very rewarding.

• Like 1

Anyone munchin sized with feet less than a UK size 5 will struggle with getting ppe regardless of their gender, although a lot of the harnesses do come in tiny / kids sizes. 

I'm a 45kg shortarse and I've worked with a couple of women smaller than myself and there is mens' gear available that's just about usable, although it'll more than likely have to be done as a special order and take a while to arrive. A bit like the pfanner jacket that I've ordered in an xs and I'm now sitting around waiting to be delivered... While all of the rest of the team's stuff is already here. 

Try looking at the manufacturers websites rather than their outlets as you'll get a much better idea of what size ranges they make, rather than the most cost effective ones for the retailers to stock. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stihlmadasever said:

Dunno if your on instagram or not but if you are,i follow some female climbers/foresters.

Treetater

Izzy_rascal5

Annakins_tree_walker

Olivia_eggan

All post great photos if your interested

I am on Instagram and have now followed them all! I'm on as NatSabin if you want to see pictures of outside and cats ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1