Jump to content
Charleton Chips

Wood chip for biomass

Recommended Posts

I was wondering does all the wood chip which is sold for biomass to companies kept in the uk or sent to another
Country. 

 

And who is buying  wood chip in the U.K. Apart from Jenkinsons 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Charleton Chips said:

I was wondering does all the wood chip which is sold for biomass to companies kept in the uk or sent to another
Country. 

 

And who is buying  wood chip in the U.K. Apart from Jenkinsons 

work this out if you can ? as i cant,,, we export chip to europe but we import round wood to chip for power stations from the USA canada sweden and finland and they say its carbon nuetral HOW can this be ?? the carbon foot print must be massive, boat loads of logs from sweden and finland coming to uk and then boat loads of chip going to holland passing and waving to each other in the north sea ? have they not got chippers in scandinavia ? or if you was involved in running the country and was trying to reduce the total carbon foot print for the uk would this practice tick any boxes ??? but you would of probably been to oxford or cambridge for your education !!!!!!!! thick f- - - - - s..

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

work this out if you can ? as i cant,,, we export chip to europe but we import round wood to chip for power stations from the USA canada sweden and finland and they say its carbon nuetral HOW can this be ?? the carbon foot print must be massive, boat loads of logs from sweden and finland coming to uk and then boat loads of chip going to holland passing and waving to each other in the north sea ? have they not got chippers in scandinavia ? or if you was involved in running the country and was trying to reduce the total carbon foot print for the uk would this practice tick any boxes ??? but you would of probably been to oxford or cambridge for your education !!!!!!!! thick f- - - - - s..

I really can't work this one out either.  One things for sure though, some people are making a huge stack of cash out of the biomass bubble(?)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

work this out if you can ? as i cant,,, we export chip to europe but we import round wood to chip for power stations from the USA canada sweden and finland and they say its carbon nuetral HOW can this be ?? the carbon foot print must be massive, boat loads of logs from sweden and finland coming to uk and then boat loads of chip going to holland passing and waving to each other in the north sea ? have they not got chippers in scandinavia ? or if you was involved in running the country and was trying to reduce the total carbon foot print for the uk would this practice tick any boxes ??? but you would of probably been to oxford or cambridge for your education !!!!!!!! thick f- - - - - s..

A guess as to part of the explanation.  The carbon print AND COST of 1000t of timber transported by sea is small compared to that of 27t driven the length of England.  So, for example, it's cheaper and perhaps more carbon friendly to import by boat from Norway to Newcastle than to drive it from Devon to Newcastle.

Silly examples - purely hypothetical ones - but transporting large amounts of bulk goods by ship is actually pretty cheap.

There are other examples apart from timber here:  New Zealand lamb, apples and butter travelling half way round the planet to us, a country that has all of those! (Yes, I know we've been nice to the Kiwis and bought their produce for them 😊)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

work this out if you can ? as i cant,,, we export chip to europe but we import round wood to chip for power stations from the USA canada sweden and finland and they say its carbon nuetral HOW can this be ?? the carbon foot print must be massive, boat loads of logs from sweden and finland coming to uk and then boat loads of chip going to holland passing and waving to each other in the north sea ? have they not got chippers in scandinavia ? or if you was involved in running the country and was trying to reduce the total carbon foot print for the uk would this practice tick any boxes ??? but you would of probably been to oxford or cambridge for your education !!!!!!!! thick f- - - - - s..

Yeah it is crazy isn’t it?  As another poster has mentioned cost of transport is a lot to do with it.  DERV is quite rightly heavily taxed as vehicles using it wreck our planet and health.  Aviation fuel and even worse bunker oil (diesel so polluting you cannot use it on land in most of the world) are so cheap it means we merrily import and export thousands of tons of stuff instead of using local resources.

 

I am not against global trade as such but we need to use it more wisely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically our power stations burn an Artic load in about 10 mins - not sure how or why this is ' green' but a Minister would probably give you an inexplicable answer ;) K

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, nepia said:

A guess as to part of the explanation.  The carbon print AND COST of 1000t of timber transported by sea is small compared to that of 27t driven the length of England.  So, for example, it's cheaper and perhaps more carbon friendly to import by boat from Norway to Newcastle than to drive it from Devon to Newcastle.

Silly examples - purely hypothetical ones - but transporting large amounts of bulk goods by ship is actually pretty cheap.

There are other examples apart from timber here:  New Zealand lamb, apples and butter travelling half way round the planet to us, a country that has all of those! (Yes, I know we've been nice to the Kiwis and bought their produce for them 😊)

yes i know sea transport is very cheap about 6 mths ago i was fishing on a boat and a guy who came as a guest arranged sea transport  and i was shocked when he told me that a container with 20 tonne in it transported from china to uk would cost less than £1 a tonne its loading /unloading and docking fees that cost and then he told me 20ft container would cost about £120 to get on to a dock side in the uk then road haulage to destination and when you compare the size of container to a uk posted letter it makes the postal service look expensive ,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.