Work on a footpath - Signage, pedestrian management etc.

William Clifford

Most of what's in/around the barrier looks like half an hour with a strimmer? Do most of the hedge with a flail, and tidy up any small bits with a hedge cutter if needed?

If it was the council/roads maintenance contractor they would just sit a transit there half on the pavement with beacons on - the road is plenty wide enough for it.

Ideally with someone on pedestrian look out duties

sc7 and sc1 Toad? I don't have my NRSWA or 12d. It is something I will look into though for the future. Just to have the knowledge to know what I need in terms of TM on jobs like this, even if I'm not doing it myself. And yes, agreed with them not letting me do it / insurance not covering.

I know what you are saying scbk, and yes it's a tiny job - but I would like to do it right. At the very, very least I should know what the right way is! ;) I feel things should be done correctly as much as is possible and I don't want to be gambling to get the job done. I don't want the Parish Council to suffer unnecessary cost, but if they truly want the job doing correctly then I also want to be in a position to be able to do that. I'm sure that that job could be done on the footpath 99 times with guys with hedge trimmers and no barriers etc and no problems, but if / when it goes wrong....  I was there in the peeing rain this morning with the trucks going past at 50mph - wasn't a nice place to be even just standing. And that's without any of them hitting the low bridge for the umpteenth time!

The layouts for the signs in the red book comes from chapter 8of the traffic signs manual. The red book is just a condensed user friendly version of it really. The layouts are all numbered, sc refers to single carriageway and dz refers to dual carriageway.

Sc1 is works on a footway, sc2 works in the middle of the road, sc3 is give and take etc. 

Sc1 is shown below.

plansc1.png

Also, and I don't want to sound patronising, the fact you are thinking about speed limits, working widths, safe zones etc is really encouraging. I've had qualified/trained people work for me who have missed these vital elements when planning traffic management.

When planning tm consider;

The total width of the road, and the width left when you are on site.

The layout of the road, bends, junctions, hazards.

The speed limit.

How much working space you need.

The safety zone.

Traffic count.

Rush hour/tidal flows of traffic.

If you need to do anything with pedestrians.

Where you will park your vehicle/equipment or have materials on site.

Using the red book it's normally an exercise in working out which layouts are not suitable and see what is left. Also if you use two way lights, you are required to have the ability to swap to stop/go boards if the lights fail.