Work on a footpath - Signage, pedestrian management etc.

William Clifford

Hi,

I'm away at the moment and had a call earlier from the Parish Council - "Can you quote this for the work to be carried out next week?". This is a small part of the overall job. I'm looking for advice on what is the correct legal way to do this please?

However, picture with the chap in the white shirt is a 40mph section of 'A' road with a bus stop approximately 60 meters behind him. That one ball section of bush that he is blocking in the photo opposite the crossing wants cutting hard back. 

The photo with the red car coming into view is a 60mph section of the same 'A' road. The hedge behind the barrier wants cutting hard back again. It is approximately 100meters long.

What traffic management do I need here for the workforce and the public using the footpath? With it being on the verge (I don't know how wide that pavement is yet), do I still need traffic signs for the passing vehicles / barriers for the workforce and are stop - go people sufficient to manage any pedestrians that may come along whilst doing this small amount of work? I would plan to put the arisings in the arb trolley bag and take it to the truck so no vehicles need to be roadside.

Thanks for the help. I have used traffic management companies in the past, but thinking that this is such a small amount of work time here that depending on what the requirements are we would manage it ourselves.

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 21.02.15.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 21.22.49.png

Thanks RH. I've got a copy offline but thanks for the offer!

Am going to visit the site this am.

So now reading through, am I understanding this correctly - Lets say that on the 100m 60mph section, the footpath is the width of our working area. On top of that we need a 1.2m lateral safety clearance. If this is not possible, then a minimum of 0.5m will suffice, as long as we put a speed limit of 30 or 40mph in place?? On top of that, I need to allow for possible pedestrians. Would a stop / go man for the pedestrians be enough if we were cleaning up as we went, or should I be providing a temporary footpath by going into the road??

Someone please tell me that this isn't what technically needs to be done to meet the law?! If so, one of a few things is going to happen. It'll be either be going to traffic management, someone (else) will chance it, or the Armco is going to get flailed! The Parish Council may end up regretting taking on the responsibility of this small stretch from the LA.

You will need a temporary traffic regulation order to reduce the speed limit. You can only do it in 20mph drops, so 60 to 30 needs two orders I believe. I'll have a proper read and look at the pictures later, but I might be able to provide a few suggestions.

Edited by Toad

Yes it's a busy road. I went down today to walk the path and it's bad enough just walking it when the juggernauts fly by. I like your idea of cutting it back hard Dan - drove past again to see if there was scope to do so and will recommend it. Thanks. I'm not sure if it would still give enough room to manage with a flail, but it'd at least give more space to do it by hand next time. ?

No footpath on the other side Pete.

I measured the path. Between 150 cm and 160 cm from the Armco to the edge of the road.

I have just ran it past a TM firm who knows the road and he feels it sounds like we need TL and a half lane closure ? 

Best thing for the crash barrier might be to round up it off each year, then manage the veg behind it with a flail.

However I would expect whomever is responsible for the crash barrier should be trimming around it to allow them to inspect it properly each year.

I think you'd definitely want two way lights with a pedestrian walkway within the traffic lights (sc7 with sc1).

With regard to the traffic management, I think you would struggle to ensure that you are covered by insurance if you don't have your 12d and nrswa qualifications, and I doubt the highway authority would give you the road space to undertake the works either.