Stihl & grease nipples!

Old Mill Tree Care

Like many on here, I have a Stihl long reach hedge trimmer. The gearbox in the head must be greased regularly which means getting the tool to undo the stupid plug bolt then press my grease gun into the hole to administer the grease.

This process is extremely irritating and would be so much easier if there was a grease nipple!

I have ordered several different sizes of grease nipples online and none of them fit.

Has anyone had success retrofitting theirs and if so, where did you find the nipples?

I don't have this problem with any of my Echo hedge trimmers because they are a far superior tool in every single way. Even when something does break, which is never, Echo are excellent at dealing with warranties.

Thanks.

Al from memory they are an oddball 11mm which is not a grease nipple size, there are companies drilling and tapping an 11mm bolt and fitting grease nipples to them

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STIHL-hedge-trimmer-grease-nipple-Fits-strimmers-etc-07811201109-HL75-KM/123365163656?hash=item1cb9230288:g:uUoAAOSwhzRaY6w-:rk:2:pf:0

Bob

• Like 2

On a different note does anyone grease their cordless long arm trimmers.

Can't find anything from Stihl saying that you should.

Thanks

I do I’m sure it said in the manual to do it every 50 hours at the dealers.
Point being I use lithium grease spray. Doesn’t need much. Worth doing as they are plastic gears iirc

I guess if the manual says grease every x of hrs, that’s them manufacturers covered. But the real faff is pushing the grease in, most home owners would only have titty nipples, not the greasey type..also those torx just strip, you. Have too gt spanner. On it.

but good idea on a nipple modd,  I will wait for a nipple mod that stihl sells for 10x the actual price ????????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wonky said:

I guess if the manual says grease every x of hrs, that’s them manufacturers covered. But the real faff is pushing the grease in, most home owners would only have titty nipples, not the greasey type..also those torx just strip, you. Have too gt spanner. On it.

but good idea on a nipple modd,  I will wait for a nipple mod that stihl sells for 10x the actual price ????????

The Stihl grease tube screws into the thread on the other Stihl hedge cutters is the battery one different?