Hard wearing arb tripod ladder recommendation

orang-utan

Hi all

I have a job requiring using a hedge trimmer on a 10m douglas fir and I only have a medium step ladder.  In the past I have used snips/pole pruner but want to be able to reach and get up high to use the trimmer.  Can someone recommend a heavy duty (although not that heavy) professional a frame type ladder that will do the trick.  This is a long overdue purchase.

Thanks

i got a 12ft one from Henchman - worth having 3 legs adjustable. Had about 6 years out of it. I wouldn't bother with a smaller one and the 16ft wont go in my van

https://www.henchman.co.uk/products/platform-tripod-ladders/platformtripod-ladders-3-adjustable-legs.html

the 12ft ladder and a hedgetrimmer head on a ht131 polesaw is most of the way to 10m, haven't gone over yet from the top step, but there's always next time

I use the 3leg adjustable work ware tripod, about £250 at honey brothers and have just bought the single leg adjustable 16ft. Seems really useful for the facing back sort of jobs, or reducing small Aileanthus that would be a pain to limbwalk out on. The 16ft was £390, my advice would be that it's transportation that damages them. Got some plastic pipe to strap to the new sets to stop the information chafing through them.?

Edited by Husqvarna King
Missed a bit

Thanks guys for your quick response to my question.  Very helpful.  I didn't realise that they were going to be so expensive.  I suppose it enables the job to be done by one person so cutting costs.  The niwaki and henchman both look good all with the same concept.

Cheers

• 1 year later...

Looking at getting one..

Seems there 3 brands: henchman, hendon (workware) & hawesgawa.Is there  any difference in quality between them? Haesgawa are the more expensive jap ones sold by niwaki. Also come in standard and heavy duty versions in each size.

Also platform or standard.

Any  advantage of 150kg max load over 100kg  ladders  more durable?

Hendon standard and heavy duty are both rated 150kg which doesn't seem to make sense?

On 12/10/2018 at 17:42, Husqvarna King said:

my advice would be that it's transportation that damages them

If your experience is that 'transportation' damages them, you can't have staff! :vroam::lol:

IME the person paying for tools and equipment seldom damages them. Inexplicably items used by others just seem to fall apart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

If your experience is that 'transportation' damages them, you can't have staff! :vroam::lol:

IME the person paying for tools and equipment seldom damages them. Inexplicably items used by others just seem to fall apart.

Nope, no staff here.

But seriously in around two years my last set had worn holes right through the aluminium and the lower legs were battered, just from resting on the truck/trailer and driving around (strapped on too)