Replacing a winch cable

njc110381

Hi guys. I've just picked up a Werner F56 for my mog, but it doesn't come with a cable. The level wind is set up to work with 12mm but that's about all I know.

I'm new to this and haven't a clue what sort of cable to fit to it? I thought I'd just go online and find winch rope but not so, there are about a dozen different strand types just on the one website I've looked at! 6 strand, 26 strand, 37 strand, plastic infill or no plastic infill. Twist resistant or not? Most seem to have a pretty similar breaking load of between 12-14t at 12mm.

I guess twisting doesn't matter much when pulling logs? Picking something very durable I would think is my priority and galvanised to avoid corrosion, but they all say they're very durable. Is one type likely to spring and throw itself around less than another if it snaps? I'm baffled so if anyone could explain it to me in simple terms I'd be really grateful!

36 minutes ago, njc110381 said:

Hi guys. I've just picked up a Werner F56 for my mog, but it doesn't come with a cable. The level wind is set up to work with 12mm but that's about all I know.

I'm new to this and haven't a clue what sort of cable to fit to it? I thought I'd just go online and find winch rope but not so, there are about a dozen different strand types just on the one website I've looked at! 6 strand, 26 strand, 37 strand, plastic infill or no plastic infill. Twist resistant or not? Most seem to have a pretty similar breaking load of between 12-14t at 12mm.

I guess twisting doesn't matter much when pulling logs? Picking something very durable I would think is my priority and galvanised to avoid corrosion, but they all say they're very durable. Is one type likely to spring and throw itself around less than another if it snaps? I'm baffled so if anyone could explain it to me in simple terms I'd be really grateful!

Hi what pull rate is the winch ? and what is the drum capacity 30 40 50 mtrs of 12mm ? i think i would be looking at the orange man made rope myself much lighter and easier to drag about as compared to steel cable, my igland has 95 mtrs of 9mm steel on it and once you get 40=50 mtrs out its bloody hard work pulling that about,

Ring A&B Services Scotland.

They had a stand at the APF, I was picking up the various pieces of cables they had on show saying “that’s where you get that from”.

You should get some sound advice. I found the cable supplied with my Tajfun Winch to be far superior to anything I’ve used before. I don’t know what it’s called, but they do it. I’ll see if I can get an image.

Eddie.

2 hours ago, LGP Eddie said:

Ring A&B Services Scotland.

They had a stand at the APF, I was picking up the various pieces of cables they had on show saying “that’s where you get that from”.

You should get some sound advice. I found the cable supplied with my Tajfun Winch to be far superior to anything I’ve used before. I don’t know what it’s called, but they do it. I’ll see if I can get an image.

Eddie.

I think that’s the same as what’s on the uniforest. It’s pre- crushed (or something like that ) so doesn’t kink or flatten easily

46 minutes ago, s o c said:

I think that’s the same as what’s on the uniforest. It’s pre- crushed (or something like that ) so doesn’t kink or flatten easily

Hard to describe, but it’s actually round if that makes sense and pretty smooth, with wide strands that don’t seem to fray.

We had another brand delivered new, lovely Winch, but honestly I thought the cable was that big old three strand stuff they brace electric poles with! Absolutely horrendous and hasn’t lasted 5 minutes.

Eddie.

2 hours ago, s o c said:

Swaged? It's compacted during manufacture so doesn't crush as easily. I've been wondering about that. Thanks.

Finally found it, yes it looks exactly like that Teufelberger Compacted stuff.

I had this auto stop retrofitted on the Tajfun absolutely brilliant, stops idiots smashing the sliders back into it, just cuts straight off as it presses the plunger.?

Eddie.

01C56B02-6CF1-4F0E-9A0E-0467EBFD99E6.jpeg

• Like 1