What is going on with this tree?

Boggle4137

Question

Hi everyone

This silverbirch has these weird growths/nests growing on it. I always thought they where nests but since learning more about trees I took a closer look and realized they arnt indeed nests, they look a bit like tumble weed but are much more corse with live twigs.

I won't be doing any work on the tree as its on my grandads street but it definately has my curiosity as to what they can be and what treatment it needs.

IMG_20181010_171459.jpg

IMG_20181010_171509.jpg

IMG_20181010_171449.jpg

10 answers to this question

10 minutes ago, Boggle4137 said:

Hi everyone

This silverbirch has these weird growths/nests growing on it. I always thought they where nests but since learning more about trees I took a closer look and realized they arnt indeed nests, they look a bit like tumble weed but are much more corse with live twigs.

I won't be doing any work on the tree as its on my grandads street but it definately has my curiosity as to what they can be and what treatment it needs.

IMG_20181010_171459.jpg

IMG_20181010_171509.jpg

IMG_20181010_171449.jpg

Witches broom probably . might be mistletoe but doubt it .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Boggle4137 said:

Hi everyone

IMG_20181010_171459.jpg

IMG_20181010_171509.jpg

IMG_20181010_171449.jpg

Probably witches broom.

Normally the growing tip sends down a hormone to stop lower buds from growing, if this is disrupted all the suppressed buds burst and try and make growth.

• Like 1

Yes it's almost certainly caused by a parasitic fungus called Taphrina betulina, which triggers a profusion of twigs, which often then die. Common on Birch, Harmless overall to the tree. I don't think there's any realistic preventative treatment and although it may recur in the same tree I don't see any way of treating it. The brooms (or besoms) can be removed but it seems a bit pointless to me.

• Like 1

Yes it's almost certainly caused by a parasitic fungus called Taphrina betulina, which triggers a profusion of twigs, which often then die. Common on Birch, Harmless overall to the tree. I don't think there's any realistic preventative treatment and although it may recur in the same tree I don't see any way of treating it. The brooms (or besoms) can be removed but it seems a bit pointless to me.
Yep I agree witches broom. I recently removed lots from some trees mainly cos they overhung a car park and the client was concerned they might snap off and land on a car. They weigh a hell of a lot for their size, and do sometimes break off due to this. They will no doubt re grow but client was aware of that.