School Children getting paid for work experience

Darrin Turnbull

I took on a couple of lads a few years ago that were going on to engineering courses when they left school ( both sons of mates) , I put them with my fitter/welder at the time .  I unofficially gave them £30 a day but in reality they were a liability and totally disinterested in anything other than their mobile phones and facetube. I also had to jump through loads of hoops with the school , I had to be interviewed and they came around to check on facilities in the workplace , insurances and probably the pedo register. Unless these kids are actually serious about work and not looking for some kind of government job avoidance scheme I would give it a miss.

Bob

Had someone a year or so ago. Had to adjust our insurance which was nearly £100 for the week for them to be covered. Also had to adjust RA, which also had to be signed off by the parents and school for having someone under 18.
Made sure the week was varied to give a good idea of the job, didn’t give any pay but gave them an Id book and pruning saw at the end of the week. Permission granted by the parents first obviously!!

30 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

I took on a couple of lads a few years ago that were going on to engineering courses when they left school ( both sons of mates) , I put them with my fitter/welder at the time .  I unofficially gave them £30 a day but in reality they were a liability and totally disinterested in anything other than their mobile phones and facetube. I also had to jump through loads of hoops with the school , I had to be interviewed and they came around to check on facilities in the workplace , insurances and probably the pedo register. Unless these kids are actually serious about work and not looking for some kind of government job avoidance scheme I would give it a miss.

Bob

I have not yet had work experience kids but I had a an autistic guy help once a fortnight for a year or so.  It is easy to underestimate how much time it takes to supervise and train someone new and young.  I think £30 a day is quite generous for a kid who works hard; for kids who can't be bothered I would not give them anything except a bad report at the end of it.

I did work experience when I was 15 and I certainly got nothing, except a fascinating insight into the world of work.  Made me want to leave school and start work even more....

I did talk to the local prison a while back about taking prisoners and giving them work experience and they were very positive about it, but I think they are just so bogged down with red tape they can't arrange anything at the moment.

I always think it is good when local businesses try and help out youngsters or others in need, but make no mistake it is not an easy or cheap source of good labour!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ratman said:

Thats quality, they’ve even got their own appropriate sized wheel barrow! emoji39.png

That barrow isn’t plastic shite though mate, I splashed out on an expensive Chinesium one!

It gets a fair bit of use.

Connie was 3 when that was taken, and I can honestly say she is better on a barrow than some 16 year olds I have seen.

• Like 2

I have had work experience kids with me and I thought they were not supposed to get paid. I did pay them though and it was according to how useless they were.

Some jobs they can just about manage but even simple tasks seemed quite alien to them. As an example I had to go and make a phone call and thought to keep the lad occupied for a short while I would get him to just sweep out the shed we were working in. A simple job, hardly exciting but did need doing and if he didn't do it I would have done it myself.

It was immediately obvious that he had never driven a broom before and wasn't able to figure it out.

What sort of upbringing have these kids had where they don't even know how to sweep the floor?

The purpose is to give them experience of a working environment, they also need to experience being paid what they are worth or what you have to do to get a financial reward. Seems too many expect a lot of money for doing feck all these days.

• Like 1

Assuming we're talking about the week most 15 year olds do we were never supposed to be paid when I did it but those who went to small businesses and local farms usually got cash at the end. 

Now I'm on the other side I appreciate it's a lot of time, effort and paperwork from the employer. The idea earlier of giving them a tool or something useful is a nice one.