Habitat piles?

spandit

• 2 months later...

Hi, We have the same problem when intentionally leaving log piles, people just steal them. Considering ground anchors, or sign posts. The stag beetles like vertical stacks like the picture I attached from froglife. Dig them in a bit and then fire chip all over them. 

On 10/10/2018 at 17:49, Yournamehere said:

Yep log piles are the business and anyone who knows what they're talking about gives top points for having one.

Stag beetle numbers have dropped by 90% over recent years and mostly because they spend most of their life in the larval stage in rotting wood and too much rotting wood has been tidied up off the forest floor. I moved one back a bit recently as it had been stacked by the side of a pond-side path and we wanted to enbigenate the path.

Slow worms and newts is what we found.

I was once sitting having a bite and a cup of tea when I saw a stag beetle fly in low and crash into an oak tree right by where I was sitting.

That's odd I thought; y'don't see that everyday.

Anyway the stag beetle got up and crashed back into the tree again and again and then down into the leaf litter. And there was the explanation: A female stag beetle up for a bit of action! There was a lipstick like projection out from the back of her abdomen which I imagine was wafting get-it-here pheromones on the breeze - single molecules - and the male stag beetle followed the trail up wind and was guided purely by receptors rather than sight.

Someone came along to help recently.

Yep. The first thing they did was burn up all my old log piles and all my stag beetle larvae cos they thought they looked untidy.

tldr: log piles good cos stag beetles.

Happy Days

Yourn

froglifeplantingday-4769.jpg

Edited by EcoJoe

On 10/10/2018 at 17:49, Yournamehere said:

Yep log piles are the business and anyone who knows what they're talking about gives top points for having one.

Stag beetle numbers have dropped by 90% over recent years and mostly because they spend most of their life in the larval stage in rotting wood and too much rotting wood has been tidied up off the forest floor. I moved one back a bit recently as it had been stacked by the side of a pond-side path and we wanted to enbigenate the path.

Slow worms and newts is what we found.

I was once sitting having a bite and a cup of tea when I saw a stag beetle fly in low and crash into an oak tree right by where I was sitting.

That's odd I thought; y'don't see that everyday.

Anyway the stag beetle got up and crashed back into the tree again and again and then down into the leaf litter. And there was the explanation: A female stag beetle up for a bit of action! There was a lipstick like projection out from the back of her abdomen which I imagine was wafting get-it-here pheromones on the breeze - single molecules - and the male stag beetle followed the trail up wind and was guided purely by receptors rather than sight.

Someone came along to help recently.

Yep. The first thing they did was burn up all my old log piles and all my stag beetle larvae cos they thought they looked untidy.

tldr: log piles good cos stag beetles.

Happy Days

Yourn