038av super guidebar size?

Tomhjnr

Hi, was wondering what the maximum size bar this saw would take. Have allways ran 20" over the years and coped with that, but occationally tackle trees justifying a longer bar. I know getting a bigger saw is the best route to take, but cant really go out spending £800 on a new saw at the moment to have it sitting in the shed not earning much money. Will take that plunge one day, but untill then shall i just stick with what ive got or get a larger bar for the occational large fell?

Your opinions welcomed, Tom.

Another option is get a 30" bar and use "skip chain" on it. It should pull 30" of skip about as easily as 25" comp chain. (it still will be hard work for the saw though:blushing:)

To get a little more from the saw you could try a muffler mod, but its really still not the perfect answer. Depends how many time "occasional" larger cutting is required.

An 038 super should be able to pull a 32" bar using skip chain but you must have a sharp chain and don't push it too hard . They are however better suited for a 20" .

A have a modified 038 Mag that has no problem with a 32" .However I have much larger saws that do a better job so it too runs a 20" .

Rambling on ,last May I ran a modified 044 pulling a 36" bar in a 40 log .Hard to believe but the saw did real good .

The main thing to keep in mind runnng over length bars on small saws is not to push them to the limit .Let the saw cut at it's own speed ,keep the RPM's in the torque curve and they will do fine .

Another option is get a 30" bar and use "skip chain" on it. It should pull 30" of skip about as easily as 25" comp chain. (it still will be hard work for the saw though:blushing:)

To get a little more from the saw you could try a muffler mod, but its really still not the perfect answer. Depends how many time "occasional" larger cutting is required.

Whats a "skip chain"? I too have an 038 and it would be great to do the odd bigger cut without have to having to shell out on a bigger saw.

Whats a "skip chain"?

linke regular chain but with a third less cutters...

good for running longer bars on smaller saws, and for longer bars in softwood as you get better chip clearance out of the kerf.

available from all your favourite chain manufacturers, just not on the european market:thumbdown:

You can, and as you know Al, I do:sneaky2:

Oh I believe you . Here I am 3000 miles away and I have no idea what's available in England much less Europe in general . What we in the US and Canada take for granted may not exist in the rest of the world .

Now then,chain .You basically have three configurations ,full compliment is cutter,space ,cutter .Full skip is cutter,two spaces cutter .Semi skip is cutter ,space,cutter two spaces cutter , space,cutter etc .