Self employed fears

Boggle4137

31 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Well the problem started when a greedy plumber decided to take his employer to court suing for full employee's rights even though he was a subbie.....and ended when the court agreed with him.  Sorry you probably know this anyway.

That's a brief resume but it seems to miss a bit of the detail: as I see it the firm brought it on themselves because they provided him with a van and dictated how and when he should work. When he became infirm  they wouldn't allow him to reduce his hours nor for him to appoint another to undertake any work. These are the points which established employment, that he was gre^H^H^H well paid for his efforts was irrelevant

13 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

That's a brief resume but it seems to miss a bit of the detail: as I see it the firm brought it on themselves because they provided him with a van and dictated how and when he should work. When he became infirm  they wouldn't allow him to reduce his hours nor for him to appoint another to undertake any work. These are the points which established employment, that he was gre^H^H^H well paid for his efforts was irrelevant

Stop worrying about the facts.

8 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

2 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

It was a problem before that anyway.

Remember IR35?

Yes I missed out the detail, but this case brought it all to a head a few months ago.  Was it effectively disguised employment ?  Yes of course it was, and yes Mark I remember IR 35 well.  I was a self employed contractor when it first came out, and so I asked my accountant about it.  He had never heard of it.  He did a bit of homework and then advised me I was indeed in "Disguised employment".  A couple of years later I changed accountant and was duly advised that I was most certainly not in "Disguised employment".  Frankly it was a mess with very complicated rules that even the professionals argued about (reminds me of the detailed and complicated discussions on Arbtalk about rules on trailer towing).  

The government need to establish simple rules around employment that give realistic but fair options and clarity for employees and employers.  Not everyone wants to be an employee - surely they should be given a simple alternative?  Or should they?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

The government need to establish simple rules around employment that give realistic but fair options and clarity for employees and employers.  Not everyone wants to be an employee - surely they should be given a simple alternative?  Or should they?

Spot on!  The commercial world has outstripped Governments' ability to keep pace - always will probably, but in the last 15-20 years the pace has been olympic.  Can't see it slowing down anytime soon either what with robotics and automation already making strong headway.  Those that thought the concept of a universal income was bonkers may need to readjust sooner than they thought... 

• Like 1

Are you absolutely stark raving mad?
(You are absolutely stark raving mad.)

I work in arb.
It's mandatory.
[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Maybe it's the way I speak to them?
I imagine a call centre of "normal folk"
Who get shouted at all day.
I just use courtesy and friendliness.
Have a nice chat.
Has worked 100% so far.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
  • Like 1

Spot on!  The commercial world has outstripped Governments' ability to keep pace - always will probably, but in the last 15-20 years the pace has been olympic.  Can't see it slowing down anytime soon either what with robotics and automation already making strong headway.  Those that thought the concept of a universal income was bonkers may need to readjust sooner than they thought... 

The global business model is the wrong way round.
Profits before everything.
It's cheaper to find a loophole than pay the right price.
Where are we heading?
[emoji51]

41 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

I work in arb.
It's mandatory.
emoji12.pngemoji12.pngemoji12.png

Maybe it's the way I speak to them?
I imagine a call centre of "normal folk"
Who get shouted at all day.
I just use courtesy and friendliness.
Have a nice chat.
Has worked 100% so far.
emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

When setting my girlfriend up in her own business recently we spoke to a book keeper to find out what we needed to do regarding tax etc and her advice was to phone the HMRC and chat with them too. Really helpful.

• Like 1