Advanced chain sharpening.

Rough Hewn

I knew I had it somewhere, as always you have find it buried in a pile of PDF’s 

so thats the other reason I told you about .?

I’ve email you the file RH, as I’m  too silly at adding files from iBooks ?

74654073-8176-4B16-A9AB-B44587587EED.thumb.jpeg.c5bebae9a1697094d7e5169fc396389f.jpeg

Edited by Wonky
  • Like 1

So whats the problem with nicking the tie straps? Clearly lots of you avoid it but it seems like a hassle 

it's not really the tie straps I'm concerned with.
It's the side plate angle and the hook.
By dropping a file size you have both and no cutting into the tie strap.
[emoji106]
  • Like 2

I haven't heard about dropping a file size, I was told to just tip the file up a touch to avoid the strap but it does make sense to me.
Going from .027 to .045 on the depth gauges though seems madness. It says only .018 more but that is an increase of 66%. Put the other way round, if this is right my worn chain still set at .027 has only 60% of the step it should have, so surely it would hardly cut? In fact those old chains are rippers, I wouldn't want any more off the rakers.

I think they're bonkers, but has anyone actually done this to the rakers with good results?

I tend to just file down into the tie straps rather than downsize files. I find I lose teeth before the chain snaps. I'll give it a try though.

I find with 3/8 chain 5.5 gives a more durable edge whereas 5.2 is quicker but blunts faster. 

I airways use a file guide, not for the angle but for the fact it meters the depth accurately. Takes  the guesswork out of the equation. 

It's all about keeping a chain cuttin like you just got it outta the box.

then when peeps see it cut and then the chain. they go, “WOW”  how you do make it cut so good. 

We reply,, us guys know how to file a chain??

anyhow even stihl say about hard and soft wood and different depth gauge heights 

its really just knowing how a chain works, and making it work good for the wood your cutting,

• Like 2