Advanced chain sharpening.

Rough Hewn

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

22 yards I think .

Exactly. We still use it in forestry stateside. We measure distances in chains often. It is often the measurement some folks use for clinometers as well.

• 1 month later...

On 08/10/2018 at 18:54, Wonky said:

Here's somthing else from a Carlton manual I have.

just chucking it out, as we’re talking dropping file sizes, what about depth gauges.

9A776E19-4848-4042-BA31-A13394FE2B83.png

8FD869ED-493A-400E-A5BA-B11775FEE0DE.png

For me this has been the biggest revelation of this thread. I would just use the same guide on the rakers all the way through the chains life and wonder what others were on about with chains being at their best when just about used up. Now I get it.

• Like 2

I was just adding some more info to the table, so peeps can pick and choose what want to put on there plate to try. and so to find out what they like.

After all we cut wood, and I’m sure we all want the sharpest knife at the table ? ...So to speak ??

• Like 1

I’ve been sharpening 3/8 chain with 7/32 files since I was a kid and never used a 13-64 that I can remember, I was taught to go down a file size At college but it never worked for me , the old boys in the Feild take the rakers down and clean the gullet right out is what I’ve sort of stuck with and has worked... as long as all the angles and depths are the same it’s never been an issue.

Not for me ... not saying it doesn’t but I’ve never noticed..once a chain especially on a bigger saw is at this point I’ll bin it and make another any way.IMG_1547898464.630671.jpg
Not that I’m the oracle of chain sharpening or out but last time I ran a 560 in timed cuts against ported 357’s and a few other saws that was what in my opinion made the 560 quicker... there was 4-5 other Arb talkers there to witness that and prove I’m not taking bollocks !

On 19/01/2019 at 11:56, MattyF said:

Not for me ... not saying it doesn’t but I’ve never noticed..once a chain especially on a bigger saw is at this point I’ll bin it and make another any way.IMG_1547898464.630671.jpg
Not that I’m the oracle of chain sharpening or out but last time I ran a 560 in timed cuts against ported 357’s and a few other saws that was what in my opinion made the 560 quicker... there was 4-5 other Arb talkers there to witness that and prove I’m not taking bollocks !

Do you have a side view of that chain, ?

cheers

On 19/01/2019 at 11:56, MattyF said:

Any more than that and your kerf is gonna shrink too small for your bar. Well, mebbe not the kerf, per se, but it's not gonna chew up the wood effectively enough to clear out the cut.

Edited by wyk
I am making shit up most the time. Who knew!?
  • Like 1