Advanced chain sharpening.

Rough Hewn

13 minutes ago, neiln said:

Yeah you are right, my standard 3/8" chain 2 in1 does indeed use 5.2mm round.   That one seems to work well.... It's the file for the 3/8 picco micro chain on the ms180 that has resulted in a very very odd tooth as it's got more worn.

Get a 4mm file and just file down a bit into the gullet, just so you get a slight hook at the top of the toof. But not to much mind ....?

Yeah, I've pulled the round file from the 2in 1 and done that free hand.  Would be nice if the 2in1 worked better though.

Have recently bought the 3/8 and .325 but not yet used, just renewed my chains before i put my saws away last month. I umm’d and ahhh’d over them for last few months but decided to try them. Do you feel they are a little gimmicky or do you think theyre ok?

I think they are fine out on site or in the woods for a quick brighten up, but most of the guys I know who use them usually have a pretty crap finish on their chains, most of this is probably down to them being sloppy/ bone idle hence the reason they bought them in the first place.

The gullet always seems to end up sloping forward of the cutter and the depth gauges are too low, really sluggish in the cut.

I bought them after reading on arbsite(the mainly us equivalent of here) that several guys found them so good they no longer used their grinders.

It's easy to use and results initially seemed great, but the 3/8 picco has got weird as it's worn down.  The standard 3/8 chain on my bigger saw gets much less use so it will be a long while before the same problem becomes apparent if it is a fault with all the sizes of 2in1.

I'm undecided..... Probably keep using them for now but if they do weird things to another chain then I may eBay them.