Need a 2nd, bigger more powerful Saw, 20" +

sidekickdmr

I'm a bit surprised you are being advised to go for such large saws. I'm 20 years out of date and the only modern saws I have used are Husqvarne 545 and 395 and Stihl 261. Back in the day I used a 60cc saw and 18" bar and 3/8 chain for most things and it came out last week to get some firewood from a failed beech pollard, it cut out these:

beechlogs.jpeg.a4bbc60e02229c5239b65840b1c81944.jpeg
 and it was only pieces over 30" diameter the 395 was used for, >80% of the work done with the 25 year old saw.

Now it just might be the modern saws are much lighter but I wouldn't carry a Stihl 044 around all day back then but was happy to do so with the Husqvarna 262.

Never mind your wood stumps OSM, show us ya tractor [emoji6]

Which one?[emoji846]

I'll probably  not as they are now terribly tatty, that one was the one that has been looked after for the last few (is it 5) years by [mention=30499]farmer rod[/mention]

Get em posted, OSM tatty or not tatty, thats what its all about, last tractor we had before we left farm was a DB996 and up until a few yrs ago when dad got ill we still had a MFTE20 1952 yr i think it was, all original apart from seat that i had to weld as it rotted in the centre outwards, i played “chase the worm” with it, looking back i should of plated over it with a circular piece, but hey ho! ?‍♂️ there is a thread for arb tractors, post em on there [emoji106] kinda took this thread sideways.... sorry guys, my fault [emoji119]

https://www.worldofpower.co.uk/makita-ea7300p45e-73cc-petrol-18-45cm-professional-chainsaw.html

I will very likely order one shortly. I had one of it's predecessors when I had the sawmill. Very fast and powerful saws, and they give away nothing to their Stihl and Husqvarna counterparts, yet they are £350 cheaper.
The 79cc is the one Jonathan . Same weight more punch. Like a 440 vs 460

6 minutes ago, billpierce said:
13 hours ago, Big J said:
https://www.worldofpower.co.uk/makita-ea7300p45e-73cc-petrol-18-45cm-professional-chainsaw.html

I will very likely order one shortly. I had one of it's predecessors when I had the sawmill. Very fast and powerful saws, and they give away nothing to their Stihl and Husqvarna counterparts, yet they are £350 cheaper.

It is a lovely saw, and I used to have two but they stayed with my old business.

These days, I take the view that if I'm on the saws cutting, I'm doing something wrong as I ought to be sat on my forwarder watching my ass grow and exhausting my pointing finger ?

As such, the slightly more gutless model will do if it's £100 cheaper

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, billpierce said:
13 hours ago, Big J said:

Read more  

The 7300/7301 is more of a like-for-like rival for the 462 though.

The 7901/7900 is a great saw and is, or at least was, best in its class for power-weight. But it doesn't fall into the £500-£600 price range, being roughly £100 dearer than the 73cc version.

• Like 1