Need a 2nd, bigger more powerful Saw, 20" +

sidekickdmr

Our woodland is a PAWS with mainly Norway and corsican but with a lot of Elm and Ash. Don't fell much above 450mm max. and that's rare, mainly 200 to 300mm. I run a husky 450e and stihl 251 both with 16" bars plus a stihl 026 with an 18" bar for the bigger stuff, never needed anything bigger. My instructor when I trained advised keeping saw and bar as small as possible otherwise you were lugging weight around for the sake of it. My saws go through dead Elm of 200mm in seconds and not new chains. We have 129 acres and I manage it single handed other than boss lady helping with bonfires, planting and sedge grass mowing. Have to say sooooo lucky to have escaped from manufacturing management to a life in the wood even if only part time. 

Edited by petercb
Misread post
  • Like 1

391 or 441 ones a donkey and ones a racehorse or as a few lads above have said  461/462 now there a different saw to the 441 BUT why would you want to carry all that weight about all day ? if your in there most days go for the lightest saw you can get away with, i work in commercial forestry and use 241 14" bar and 261 16" bar most of the time but we do run 461s on both 20" & 25" bars and mainly stay in the truck but do come out for the bigger trees now and then, but do my arms know that i have been running a bigger saw,i would look at the 362 with 18" bar as that would cope with stuff up to 800mm diameter comfortably, and that husky with new chain on cutting 20cm beech 2-3 mins sounds like a right fart box of a saw and proberbly wants chucking in the bin as 2-3 mins is barmy get a better saw and you will more than likely do 3 times as much in the same time, and if you get a bigger saw and you say you have done your ground saw ticket but which one have you got ? the one day bassic home owner one or have you done the 5 day course cs30 31 ? every tree acts differently and when you come to dead dying and rotten trees be carfull as you may not get a second chance, hope this helps you out and stay safe.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sidekickdmr said:

I would say, on average, this saw will be attacking 20-80cm trunks/branches,

As others have said bite the bullet and get a 462. I cut up a lot of wood in that sort of size and have a 60cc saw with a 20" bar but the my old 460 with 25" bar is my goto for stuff in that range.