Need a 2nd, bigger more powerful Saw, 20" +

sidekickdmr

21 minutes ago, Stere said:

If the chain was brand new & took that long to cut sure it wasn't on backwards?

I would say that must be a possibility as I have a 435 that I'm borrowing. I started a spruce clearance job with it before getting a 550xp and was felling trees up to 20" at stump without issue. It was slow but useable. A 20cm cut would take about 6-7 seconds at a guess.

I would say that must be a possibility as I have a 435 that I'm borrowing. I started a spruce clearance job with it before getting a 550xp and was felling trees up to 20" at stump without issue. It was slow but useable. A 20cm cut would take about 6-7 seconds at a guess.

Is that on .043 or .050 driver chain? I run my 170 on .043 and think I’ve chosen poorly.

I'm a bit surprised you are being advised to go for such large saws. I'm 20 years out of date and the only modern saws I have used are Husqvarne 545 and 395 and Stihl 261. Back in the day I used a 60cc saw and 18" bar and 3/8 chain for most things and it came out last week to get some firewood from a failed beech pollard, it cut out these:

beechlogs.jpeg.a4bbc60e02229c5239b65840b1c81944.jpeg

and it was only pieces over 30" diameter the 395 was used for, >80% of the work done with the 25 year old saw.

Now it just might be the modern saws are much lighter but I wouldn't carry a Stihl 044 around all day back then but was happy to do so with the Husqvarna 262.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I'm a bit surprised you are being advised to go for such large saws. I'm 20 years out of date and the only modern saws I have used are Husqvarne 545 and 395 and Stihl 261. Back in the day I used a 60cc saw and 18" bar and 3/8 chain for most things and it came out last week to get some firewood from a failed beech pollard, it cut out these:

beechlogs.jpeg.a4bbc60e02229c5239b65840b1c81944.jpeg

and it was only pieces over 30" diameter the 395 was used for, >80% of the work done with the 25 year old saw.

Now it just might be the modern saws are much lighter but I wouldn't carry a Stihl 044 around all day back then but was happy to do so with the Husqvarna 262.

But he's got <60" logs to cut apparently