Need a 2nd, bigger more powerful Saw, 20" +

sidekickdmr

If youve got 13 acres you must be comfotably well off, better than me anyway, dont scrimp on saws, get a Stihl 261and a husky 395 on a 28 inch bar. £1500  the pair and youre sorted for life, apart from consumables. One saw for all not favourite, hobby saw keep for the memories. Ive only got the 441 and while it will double cut most of the thickest trunks, Im gonna get a 395 for the occaisional big tree i get, 930 quid sat in the shed, but no m tronic to mess up, so it should see me out. Be safe on the kickback and barbers chair death traps; have your blood pressure checked regular too.

15 hours ago, sidekickdmr said:

Thanks guys, seems a 462 with a 20” bar is a great bet and gets some good votes.

Anything else similar/almost as powerful but more in the £500-600 range?

Thanks again for all your help ?

Makita/Dolmar 7301 fits that. Similar power and can be had in that price range, new.

• Like 1

When I was in your position ten years ago, I bought a 441. I don't know about the latest ones, but mine didn't comfortably pull a 25", but was very happy on a 20". I've now upgraded to a 661.

If I were you, for what you describe, I'd get a 461/462.

And I would also look at upgrading your small saw. 10 years ago, I had a 251 as my small saw and upgraded that 4 years ago to a 261. On paper, not much difference, in practice, a world apart. Part of the reason to upgrade the 441 was that there just wasn't that much difference in power, but a lot of difference in weight.

If I were you I'd look at getting something like the 241 for your small saw, that would work really well as a combo with a 461/462.

I'm not saying you should buy Stihl over Husky, Stihl is just what I have and what I know.

I've got or have had a lot of the saws mentioned and my choice would also be the stihl 461. I don't know about the 462 but people seem to be very keen on them and if they are an improved 461 then they should be brilliant.

A stihl 391 is definitely not whats needed, too small, too thirsty, far too slow.

A husqvarna 365 would also be a good choice, plenty of power and if someone who knows how takes a dremel to it you have a 372 but for less money.

I have all 3 of those saws so that is my personal experience.

I wouldn't even consider a stihl 441- same weight and less than £100 cheaper than a 461 but less powerful so why bother!

A stihl 661 would cut better than any of those but is noticeably heavier. I considered it when I got my 461 but the weight difference felt far more than it is on paper??

I also have the husqvarna 435 and it is a great little saw, probably used more than all my more exciting saws! 

Happy shopping!

• Like 1