Alpine tractors for low impact forestry

Wot's the back end like on it??

I was looking at some imports at an auction the other week and  surprised/shocked just how dinky the tractors were and how lightwieght the bck ends were.

Some only a single ram lifting linkage and it was fed with tiny hoses (guessing 6 or 8mm) and the linkage just looked weak. Thought it might struggle to handle a winch/blade

In the end i bottled out just didn't think they were up to it, althu ur tractor doeslook slightly bigger, these imports were so small the cab would of toppled them over.

46 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

Wot's the back end like on it??

I was looking at some imports at an auction the other week and  surprised/shocked just how dinky the tractors were and how lightwieght the bck ends were.

Some only a single ram lifting linkage and it was fed with tiny hoses (guessing 6 or 8mm) and the linkage just looked weak. Thought it might struggle to handle a winch/blade

In the end i bottled out just didn't think they were up to it, althu ur tractor doeslook slightly bigger, these imports were so small the cab would of toppled them over.

I spoke to the chap at JAS P Wilson where the winch is coming from and he said that he sold Iseki tractors for 17 years and the TF321 (which I'm getting) will be fine with the winch. It's quite a small winch. 

Thanks for the heads up though. This will be my first tractor. Amusing really as we've been in the West Country for less than 3 months and have already ended up with a tractor!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Big J said:

I've deliberately gone for one with a cab as it's easier to put the guarding on it. 

It'll look comical, with it basically being a dinky toy with forestry guarding, but being only 1.1m wide it should get around into some tight spots and a 3.2t winch will have enough pull to be useful. I'll probably put larger wheels and tyres on it in due course.

when you say you will proberbly put bigger wheels and tyres be very carefull as you just cant put biger wheels on either back or front they have to be paired up to keep the rolling radius other wise you screw the diffs up when in 4wd, i went through all this about 6 yrs ago when i bought my Kubota and decided to leave well alone,

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

when you say you will proberbly put bigger wheels and tyres be very carefull as you just cant put biger wheels on either back or front they have to be paired up to keep the rolling radius other wise you screw the diffs up when in 4wd, i went through all this about 6 yrs ago when i bought my Kubota and decided to leave well alone,

Good point there. I would have done both at the same time, but fair point on matching them.

• 2 weeks later...

The little tractor is doing very well in this stand, having pulled some fairly large hung trees out when required. 

I will however sell it at the end of the job as I've got quite a lot of winching ahead of me and it's a bit much for a little tractor like this. 

So if anyone wants an extremely tidy little tractor for a very reasonable price, get in touch. I just need something larger for my work and with a spare 1000kg of capacity on the trailer, it's silly not to use it.

J, if your want more grip, ask your local agri tyre dealer to try and get  you some BF Goodrich rice paddy tyres, these have very large cleats and I find the grip under the canopy phenomonal,so much so that it'll try to stall out the tractor before it spins the wheels.  it takes my little yanmar up into the reaches of much bigger machines, but with negligable impact  on thesoil

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, agrimog said:

J, if your want more grip, ask your local agri tyre dealer to try and get  you some BF Goodrich rice paddy tyres, these have very large cleats and I find the grip under the canopy phenomonal,so much so that it'll try to stall out the tractor before it spins the wheels.  it takes my little yanmar up into the reaches of much bigger machines, but with negligable impact  on thesoil

I shall certainly look into that! 

I'm mainly planning to use it for winching rather than skidding or forwarding, so hoping that I won't need ultimate grip for the time being.