Jotul - You should only burn hardwoods

pancakedan

On loan at the minute Andy, but there is stacks of info about pine ‘the big game of the firewood hunter’.

It doesn’t for a minute promote it over hardwoods, but it’s there alright.

I’ll get it back and check the issue no. and get some pics.

Might take a while, mind.

My mate had to move when his house burnt down after a chimney fire.

• Haha 1

On loan at the minute Andy, but there is stacks of info about pine ‘the big game of the firewood hunter’.

Burning softwood?

I’ve been through the book extensively, there is simply nothing there promoting the burning or drying of softwood.

11 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I’ve covered pages 60 and 61. Page 60 covers Spruce as being good kindling, page 61 mentions the need to sweep your chimney and stove more regularly due to the oil in the wood.

Have I missed something?

Yep.  P60 - Mentions it as kindling, smaller wood to keep kitchen stoves burning more controllably and as a source of cheaper firewood due to the demand for birch pushing its prices up.

P61 - refers to small pines making good firewood.

There's also discussion of older softwood examples having higher densities and making for a good source of firewood.

All of these discussions cover the need for softwood to be well dried.  So pretty much as Mark B said really.

Yep.  P60 - Mentions it as kindling, smaller wood to keep kitchen stoves burning more controllably and as a source of cheaper firewood due to the demand for birch pushing its prices up.

There's also discussion of older softwood examples having higher densities and making for a good source of firewood.

All of these discussions cover the need for softwood to be well dried.  So pretty much as Mark B said really.

Can you quote that?

2 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

Great book, and lots and lots of spot-on info about seasoning and burning softwood.

18 minutes ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

Out of a 190 page book 2  pages hardly constitutes lots and lots on spot-on info does it? Considering those two pages do not even mention seasoning softwood. :D 

20 minutes ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

Ive mentioned Page 60 covers Kindling and ''Kitchen Wood'' I hardly think this is what Mark is referring to? In fact as the same paragraph mentions Birch as ''Living-Room Wood'' Id say it was the exact opposite. 

22 minutes ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

Yes, I missed that. ''Smaller Pines make good Firewood'' Take of that extract what you will. Page 60 also states, as Ive already mentioned that burning Pine will require more regular cleaning of the Stove, Chimney and Pipe System if buring a lot of Pine, not due to seasoning but the oil content. 

25 minutes ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

It was the exception rather than the rule. It was a passing comment rather than a discussion. It mentions older Soft Woods grown on poor soil. 

27 minutes ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

All of these discussions cover the need for softwood to be well dried. 

I dont agree, can you point me where it states that? Page 61 specifically states burning a lot of Pine will require regular cleaning due to the oil and nothing to do with seasoning, which, if someone is reading the book would realize that should be done as a matter of course. 

Of course you could argue that burning any kind of wood would require regular cleaning/sweeping. But its not mentioned for any other wood in the book so the obvious conclusion is burning Pine would require a much more regular interval of cleaning.  

58 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

there is stacks of info about pine ‘the big game of the firewood hunter’.

Page 60 does state that Scotch Pine is; ''This tree is the ''big game'' most frequently hunted in Norwegian forests. What is does not state is why. 

There is next to no Hardwood left in Norway, its all been cut down to build ships over the last 1000 odd years. These Scotch Pines are the only ''big game'' left. They are not getting cut down for firewood though. In fact this is the follow on sentence. ''And fully grown Pines are so huge and cumbersome to transport, cut and split that the work demands a disproportionate amount of effort from the Woodsman.'' 

The paragraph does then go on to say adding Pine to a fire will make an open fire burn more brightly and is a handy for use of light to work by. 

Thats about it from 190 pages. Kindling, a good light source and ''Kitchen Wood'' and more cleaning required. I'll take two arctic loads, please!  :D