Jotul - You should only burn hardwoods

pancakedan

4 hours ago, woodrascal said:

If you burn any type of dry wood in a good stove with plenty of air supplied to the firebox you will not get tar depositing in the flueway. The high firebox temperature inside a good woodstove will cause virtually all the volatile gasses to be combusted.

If you burn wet wood (be it hard or soft) in a poor stove with not enough air, you will get problems.

This .

5 hours ago, topchippyles said:

Pine gives off tar which will stick to your flue liner so always use a little bit of coal as the heat will kill of the tar and keep the liner clean.

Disagree .  Wet wood , hard or soft , will be an incomplete burn causing creosote etc in the flu . Properly seasoned soft wood is superb fire wood . Scandinavia , Canada , Alaska etc etc .  

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, topchippyles said:

Pine gives off tar which will stick to your flue liner so always use a little bit of coal as the heat will kill of the tar and keep the liner clean.

This is often said but have there ever been studies on the matter?

All woods give off tars which condense in the flue if run at low temps. 

I retail stoves,  not Jotul for several reasons.  I am not aware of any other quality stove builder saying that.

I have burnt lots of Pine over the years,  once dry it burns like hell.  I have never had any issue with chimney deposits., great heat output,  just 30 min reloads as opposed to 40 mins or so with hardwood.   Just get it dry and the stove nice and hot before loading it.

A

• Like 5

On 07/10/2018 at 08:33, Bogieman said:

Interestingly, the advice to burn only hardwood and specifically to avoid pine seems to be confined to the UK version of the Jotul website. If you go into https://jotul.com/ and choose any country other than the UK there is no such advice. (Use Google translate)

I blame Brexit!

Maybe there's some idiot who works at Jotul UK who's just peddling old myth's about firewood - he'll be quoting that 'Firewood Poem' next...!!!!!?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1