Chain snaps

westphalian

If you look closely, you can see the rivit heads of the tie strap are Different to the rest. One or both rivits, as I can’t remember that well, was over tight which resulted in the tie strap fracturing.  you can guess I was happy to find it  while I was sharpening the chain. I recon if I’d done another cut it would have snapped. Edit: on the other side as well.

anyhow back to Your chain snapping. 

I'm wondering if all the stresses of you using it before with the std 3/8 sprocket has weakened it and now it’s showing. I have noticed another mark in your  Pics, but cannot see the rest of the chain to see if it’s more uniform thing (ie drive sprocket damage)

i guess One way to find out  if your chains haven been weakened, is to use a brand never been used new chain.

Edited by Wonky
On the other side as well

My thoughts are free,? as well is my time. I prefer chainsaw to tv and its always good to try help others.

and this leads me on. To your vid, good vid by the way.

I took some screen shots here and there. I’ve marked the bits which have similar marks on the underside of the tie straps. I don’t know for sure (maybe someone else could chime in on this) but could these marks be the weakening area from the previous 3/8 sprocket. I’ve never seen marks like this on the underside of the tie strap before.

and also there in the same place ie behind the tang..

Ratman you beat me to it ? I was typing and marking the screen shots.

003C6C16-8594-4C1D-8EF3-03E5559DD70E.jpeg

4D946808-C6A3-4883-861F-E92BC4BA0B98.jpeg

8E383CA2-8F06-4119-91E9-FCE802B12AEF.jpeg

My thoughts are free,[emoji6] as well is my time. I prefer chainsaw to tv and its always good to try help others.

and this leads me on. To your vid, good vid by the way.

I took some screen shots here and there. I’ve marked the bits which have similar marks on the underside of the tie straps. I don’t know for sure (maybe someone else could chime in on this) but could these marks be the weakening area from the previous 3/8 sprocket. I’ve never seen marks like this on the underside of the tie strap before.
and also there in the same place ie behind the tang..

Ratman you beat me to it [emoji6] I was typing and marking the screen shots.
003C6C16-8594-4C1D-8EF3-03E5559DD70E.thumb.jpeg.b9d6edf1dc2f22010802870691b1a3b4.jpeg
4D946808-C6A3-4883-861F-E92BC4BA0B98.thumb.jpeg.7c5f72fba0e4bc9ea21a2fdbf817cd27.jpeg
8E383CA2-8F06-4119-91E9-FCE802B12AEF.thumb.jpeg.46692d55149f5c457a4c7709cc21ffa5.jpeg

I shagged a chain up just before xmas on a 021 running with a knackered sprocket and the oil pump was weak on it too. Those straps look very similar in the way they have worn, so it just makes me think that a slight shortage of oil may be a contributing factor on the chain failures, heat mainly being the starting point of weakness setting in.
  • Like 1