Chain snaps

westphalian

On 01/01/2019 at 16:10, westphalian said:

having bought a Sugihara Pro Solid 20″ 3/8 bar with Stihl Ripping 3/8 .063 chain i just returned to my original Lo pro set up. ok it might snap from time to time but it cuts like a hot knife thru butter. quicker in the long run just repairing the links 3 or 4 times a year

Yep I do love the love pro - it smoothly devours wood. Although messed up today - did a first cut last night, came back to the job and went to cut the next plank and mill kept trying to rise off the log... strange I think and come from the other side - not much better.

Put the first cut rails on and oh - looks like my flat first cut was not that flat - re sawed it and bingo - x6 2.5" 6ft planks all super flat in a couple of easy hours work.

I was out yesterday and 2 snapped. one after only 30 minutes. the bar looks fine etc etc. I have about 4 or five low pros and been milling with them for 2 years and replaced links when they snap but to be honest I have come to the conclusion they are perhaps not robust enough for several hours continuous milling. when I get round to it I will post a video of the 2 different systems in action, photos  and ask for views. oil on max, new sprocket.

any advice more than welcome

I’ve changed my mind about using the lo pro regardless. Ok I only need to wind the saw thru the wood with two fingers and the 3/8 is a lot slower but when they snap it takes a good 10 minutes removing the cradle/gib and replacing the chain not to mention the time it takes to replace the link. I shall keep em in reserve. Will post a pic when I finish work

Also could over tight, it looks like where I marked 1 it’s got a fracture starting, 2, is domed and different to the rest of the rivit heads. 3 looks a bit the same as 2 and A bit tight ?. 4 looks a bit peened or just bashed.

thats my first observations

B9A73CB5-6712-405E-BCFC-79148E2185AD.jpeg

DD58A43C-74F6-4DC7-A32E-F63CDFCA4AF8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1