Thats one lucky cyclist!

Steve Bullman

On 04/10/2018 at 13:01, Steve Bullman said:

Looks like a Plane tree.  Unlikely it was rotten enough to break off the hinge so I would image they cut too far through the hinge and it snapped off sideways..it was clearly leaning back quite heavy, too much to be pulled over by hand(assuming it was being pulled by hand)...also looking at the rope constantly slackening off I would guess it was being tugged on.  Another big no no when pulling a tree over, thats asking for it to snap off the hinge each time it sits back.  A steady continuous pull must be had at all time.

Purely conjecture on my part as not everything can be seen.

Oh, yea, sounds about right..  only omitted the use of wedges that I suspect had somethin to do with it falling over..   then again maybe not..    

I don't suppose I have to have had to much experience cutting tree's as well to make a judgement on how the tree failed..

doesn't take a genius to imagine the mechanics of unbalanced weight and the effects of gravity on it..

Just now, Vespasian said:

Oh, yea, sounds about right..  only omitted the use of wedges that I suspect had somethin to do with it falling over..   then again maybe not..    

I don't suppose I have to have had to much experience cutting tree's as well to make a judgement on how the tree failed..

doesn't take a genius to imagine the mechanics of unbalanced weight and the effects of gravity on it..

and yet your answer was still completely wrong ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Steve Bullman said:

and yet your answer was still completely wrong ?

err not much different than your own opinion to be honest..   apart from mentioning the signs an such..   which I didn't want to mention as I don't have signs of my own..  just wait for people to pass and get chopping furiously to get a branch down why no ones there...  

Thats as far as my health and safety code goes...   no ones been hurt yet and no ones ever called the police on me..

3 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

err not much different than your own opinion to be honest..   apart from mentioning the signs an such..   which I didn't want to mention as I don't have signs of my own..  just wait for people to pass and get chopping furiously to get a branch down why no ones there...  

Thats as far as my health and safety code goes...   no ones been hurt yet and no ones ever called the police on me..

rightio

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

rightio

mind you, even I wouldn't of attempted to bring that tree down like they did..   I'd of chopped it down a ft at a time...  and if I did bring it down in one go, I'd of assumed the worse and made provisions for it...

which is to say, just because someone says they're a tree surgeon don't mean they know what they're doing....

I've seen a tree surgeon fully kitted up only to see him tackle a fifteen ft conifer, what a tit..  I could of brought it down with a single cut, and yet here he was clambering all over it getting tangled with ropes and gear..   it was about that time I realized I must be as good as anyone else...   ?