Might be doing cs32 soon

Stere

On 04/10/2018 at 19:06, Shropshirelad said:

We use Stihl hi-lifts. Just make sure you have some spare wooden inserts as we have snapped a few in the past.

if your snapping the wooden insert on a high lift your not hitting it square on, i have never snapped one in 30 years but a lad who works with us now and then has snapped a few but then when you watch him swing a hammer its addvisable not to be with in about 50 mtrs of him as its hit, miss, miss , miss then hammer goes flying through the air ,

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

if your snapping the wooden insert on a high lift your not hitting it square on, i have never snapped one in 30 years but a lad who works with us now and then has snapped a few but then when you watch him swing a hammer its addvisable not to be with in about 50 mtrs of him as its hit, miss, miss , miss then hammer goes flying through the air ,

Sounds like most urban tree guys.

Forestry guys can wedge a big spruce over in 3 swings...

Very impressive!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, stihlmadasever said:

Sounds like most urban tree guys.

Forestry guys can wedge a big spruce over in 3 swings...

Very impressive!

urban tree guys ? yes could learn a lot of us forestry lads when it comes to wedging trees over, its not that long since i went to move some arb waste for a crew and what i watched for first 20 mins of being there was very entertaining for me, 3 young lads trying to get a 12-15 ft beech stalk over about 24-26" dia over with 2 5" wedges a claw hammer and a short felling bar, i stood and watched these guys sweating and arguing, then i  asked them what they where trying to do,i asked one guy to cut some wedges out of the timber on the drive while i went back to my truck for a maul got back and had it over in about 2 mins, one lad said f--k me i wont forget that one, 

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, I’ll bear it in mind on the 400+ softwoods we’ve got to do at the end of this month.

Don't think i've ever snapped a hi lift but still get annoyed with myself if u don't catch it square on and giving it big licks it mushrooms/splits on 1 side down the grain, usually pretty well worn by then.

By rights u should have ur sledge with a larger dia head than the wedge, (like a fencing mel) give u that touch more wiggle room and stop it mushrooming the same.

Always thaght about welding a plate on my sledge for it but never go round to it (also not sure if u can weld onto a sledge head with an arc/mig welder??)

If u have a load of softwoods to do the best/easiest/quickiest thing is a long felling bar (5ft odd) amazing the leverage u can get and surprising the trees u can get over with it.

But u still need ur wedges too for either bigger or heavily leaning.

I tend to carry a bag with wedges/sledge and leave it where i'm working and just take bar tree to tree untill i need the wedges again

Must admit if its really sitting back i have some steel wedges i start it off with, in big timber there really isn't much of an issue with catching ur chain as u should have plenty of room.

Aye cut homemade wedges or snedded a long 'pushing pole' to to get some trees over when i would of been stuck otherwise

By rights u should have ur sledge with a larger dia head than the wedge, (like a fencing mel) give u that touch more wiggle room and stop it mushrooming the same. 

Always thaght about welding a plate on my sledge for it but never go round to it (also not sure if u can weld onto a sledge head with an arc/mig welder??)

I have a alu fencing maul would that not be alot kinder than a steel sledge on wegdes?

Its alot better @ not destroying the tops of fence posts than a steel one.

Or you can get expensive fancy plastic ones

SIMPLEX-sledge-hammer-with-cast-iron-hou

Wot sort of wieght is in ur alum mel??

I've not seen any light enough that i would want to carry on to a forestry site.

Usually all 14lb+, dunno wot a sledge is 6 or 8??

I take it that fancy plastic sledge is the same as the smaller mallets that u can replace the nylon ends??

Never seen a big mallet like that either, but mibbee would have the wieght (and no doubt my steel wedges would knacker the nylon heads too)