Fir tree harvest

Hi guys .Been looking into buying a small block of woodland under 50k which can be commercially viable 

What would 3 acres of dense semi mature fur trees be worth ? ( stacked roadside)

Did a guess at 4-5k but really not sure as not sold timber before 

IMG_0729.JPG

IMG_0730.JPG

IMG_0731.JPG

9 hours ago, Jack.P said:

Hi guys .Been looking into buying a small block of woodland under 50k which can be commercially viable 

What would 3 acres of dense semi mature fur trees be worth ? ( stacked roadside)

Did a guess at 4-5k but really not sure as not sold timber before 

IMG_0729.JPG

IMG_0730.JPG

IMG_0731.JPG

If you are new to this you should probably take advice from the Forestry Commission or a Forestry company or if in Wales (which it can't be as it looks flat) Coed Cymru.  There are many rules about felling and thinning woodland which you will need to be aware of.  I apologise if you are already aware of this.  Are you planning on doing the work yourself?   

By the way I think looking at the pictures you posted the woodland is in need of thinning, but may indeed be many years before the final crop will be mature

1 hour ago, Squaredy said:

If you are new to this you should probably take advice from the Forestry Commission or a Forestry company or if in Wales (which it can't be as it looks flat) Coed Cymru.  There are many rules about felling and thinning woodland which you will need to be aware of.  I apologise if you are already aware of this.  Are you planning on doing the work yourself?   

By the way I think looking at the pictures you posted the woodland is in need of thinning, but may indeed be many years before the final crop will be mature

Ok yes Ive only just started looking at woodlands .I was trying to find decent block of trees Ready for clear fell within 5-10 yrs max by the sounds of things though this not the one .and yes I'd cut the whole lot myself.as an alternative idea I've thought about buying small bit of land with good road access and to run it as green waste disposal site and to charge for tipping .and to produce biomass.firewood and compost to sell on 

to run it as a green waste site you will need a license from the EV Agency and be limited to how much you can store and remove (sell) the one I use sometimes has to stockpile unchipped waste till his compost heap is ready and then he spreads it on his own fields I cannot remember how much he is allowed to move off site but it was not a lot   

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

3 acres for 50k?
Where is it, London?
5-10k per acre for mature hardwood in the south.
Even less at auction.
Semi mature softwood is worth er...
Nothing for at least another 20-30 years.
Have a look at johnclegg solicitors for woodlands.
emoji106.png

Agreed. 

No-one is going to make money buying land and then just harvesting the timber, unless it is a lot of land and then the price is much more realistic.  The people who do well from owning forestry are the people who have land they bought or inherited many years ago.  Even then there are millions of acres of wooded parcels on farms in  the UK which are totally neglected because the parcels are small and maybe steep so the cost of felling and extraction would be higher than the value of the timber.  There is an estate near here with many hundreds of acres of conifer plantation and mixed deciduous and yet they just do the bare minimum of maintenance to keep it safe, or to cash in on the odd grant.  The owner takes the view that it is just not viable, even though he owns all the land outright.  

Edited by Squaredy
Error
  • Like 1