New saw wanted

Richard 1234

14 hours ago, Richard 1234 said:

Hi I’m after a bit bigger saw than my little stihl ms 170.

not bothered what brand (don’t want rubbish though) but also don’t want to spend a fortune on something that will sit on the shelf for 95% of the time.

something with a proper chain size (as in not picco chain) and more power than the 171.

was thinking husqvarna 135?

many thanks in advance 

You say the saw you've got...and you want something bigger.

What do you cut? What do you want/need from the saw? Need an idea of what would suit

(But +1 to anything Makita/Dolmar - Shavey on here will see you right)

3 hours ago, DCS6800i said:

You say the saw you've got...and you want something bigger.

What do you cut? What do you want/need from the saw? Need an idea of what would suit

(But +1 to anything Makita/Dolmar - Shavey on here will see you right)

Hi I’ve got a couple of ms170s

they are ok but having tried a saw with a proper width chain a couple of weeks ago (might have been a mitox!) it cut much better than mine ever has it was about 50cc I think (that’s ignori for now that I don’t know how much power that 50cc was producing)

it will be used for occasional small trees takedowns (nothing much past 12-14 inch at base width wise) some logs.

probably will still use the 170 for the pruning that I originally bought them for (1st one needs oil pump and screw thing fitting only got second one as dealer wanted £135 to supply and fit yet new saw was about £175!)

probably don’t even need a new saw but I’ve got some money that wants to find its way into someone’s hands for a new saw!

Hi I’m after a bit bigger saw than my little stihl ms 170.
not bothered what brand (don’t want rubbish though) but also don’t want to spend a fortune on something that will sit on the shelf for 95% of the time.
something with a proper chain size (as in not picco chain) and more power than the 171.
was thinking husqvarna 135?
many thanks in advance 

Everything is bigger than a 171.
If you're looking at medium sized wood 12"-25" then a 70cc class saw is what you'd need.
Personal preference would be a stihl 460/461/462
I run a 25" bar 3/8 full chisel chain and it will cut anything up to 24" very quickly.
Warning.
A 70cc saw is totally different to a 171,
The torque is VERY strong.
Push back followed by kick back is quite scary.
Just make sure your PPE matches your saw choice.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

5 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Everything is bigger than a 171.
If you're looking at medium sized wood 12"-25" then a 70cc class saw is what you'd need.
Personal preference would be a stihl 460/461/462
I run a 25" bar 3/8 full chisel chain and it will cut anything up to 24" very quickly.
Warning.
A 70cc saw is totally different to a 171,
The torque is VERY strong.
Push back followed by kick back is quite scary.
Just make sure your PPE matches your saw choice.
emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

Ha ha I know it’s a baby saw and it’s been fine 90% of the time. Being honest I don’t want to go as big as 70cc for the reasons you mentioned.

just a bit more power not a huge leap up!!!

?

To add I won’t be going near 25 inch trees I think something with a 16 inch bar will be plenty 

Edited by Richard 1234

Ha ha I know it’s a baby saw and it’s been fine 90% of the time. Being honest I don’t want to go as big as 70cc for the reasons you mentioned.
just a bit more power not a huge leap up!!!
[emoji106]
To add I won’t be going near 25 inch trees I think something with a 16 inch bar will be plenty 

My small saw is a stihl 261, when subbing it was normally the first out the van. [emoji3]
However at work we run mainly husky ground saws. 346,550,560,372,395 mainly. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Whatever you get, give it a year to get used to the power difference, then send it to spud to port it.
You won't need a 70cc after that.
[emoji848][emoji12][emoji106]
  • Like 1