Huztl 372 kit build

Toad

23 hours ago, Toad said:

Put another tank of fuel through it today, still seems to be going well. Thinned the chain oil out a little and the tank seems to be nearly empty at the same time it ran out of fuel, which hopefully indicates it isn't too far off oiling correctly.

Bit concerned about fine sawdust getting past the air filter, the inside of the carb elbow is quite gritty despite putting a decent bit of grease around the filter. An oem filter doesn't seem to fit any better so I'll try an oem elbow which will come from a parts saw I just bought. Also want to replace the clutch bearing soon, just doesn't feel quite right.

Going to do a bit more work with it tomorrow. Think I might adjust the carb a bit, and push the revs up to 12k rpm or so. Might put the 24" bar on too depending on progress.

yeah  my huztl one did get a tiny fines on the intake so applied thick grease on the filter and the intake  and was still a tiny bit after a few cuts , so then  as on previous post i did much better mods hightop cover, hightop, filter bigger carb and x torq  filter intake and 385 xp intake manifold , 

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted an oem filter and elbow and it's not much better. Hah. Oh well, at least I have more spare parts now.

Going to make a start on rebuilding the 371 soon. Not sure whether to just change the crank seals anyway, or inspect and pressure test it and then decide. Will get the carb cleaned and a kit fitted, replace the intake boot, impulse and fuel lines, fit a new decomp valve, probably a base gasket delete depending on squish and a new ring/rings as compression feels low. 

Is it worth lightly honing the bore when fitting new rings?

I am concerned the exhaust bolts won't come out as it's all pretty corroded, but I'll take my time with them.

Have got a spare 365 crankcase but going to try to keep it as original as I can.

• 8 months later...

I'm sure i started another thread about the 371, but can't find it. Rebuilt it with a new ring and it did a bit of a sad after cutting brilliantly for a tank of fuel and the bottom end bearing started making an unpleasant noise.

I bought one of the last 372 xtorqs for sale in the UK after this as while the Huztl saw is fine for fiddling about with, I quite fancied something with guaranteed reliability for the reduced time I have available for cutting wood up, and I had a bit of money after doing a bit of overtime at work.

The 371 has sat in a box completely stripped for a while with me not having the time or motivation to do much with it. Sadly the previous owner damaged the oil tank and repaired it with job weld or something, and while it was ok and not leaky, I wasnt took happy with it, and the damage would make putting the halves back together a little bit of a challenge. I debated getting another Huztl crankcase and rebuilding the saw with that, but last week saw a 371k crankcase on Ebay for similar money, so snaffled it up. There is a fair bit of concrete dust in the books and crannies and there is obvious wear in a few places where the abrasive dust has sat between parts and worn away the paintwork, but it's in pretty good shape and I think with a good hot soapy wash and blowing off with the airline will be a good base to rebuild the saw. Going to probably fit the big felling dogs and run it with a 24" bar as a spare, spare saw or one I'm happy to let other people use.

I assume it is unlikely I'll find a decent genuine crank anywhere, and as it will never see significant amount of work, I think I will fit a huztl crankshaft to it. I've got the original cylinder, piston and genuine replacement ring, and a meteor piston in stock, I fitted it with new rubbers, hoses etc so it should just be a case of wanging the crankcase together and rebuilding, but I'm sure I'll find some issues along the way.