Huztl 372 kit build

Toad

4 minutes ago, Toad said:

Hah, for my size I've got really dainty little hands, tonight I was just being an idiot really. Found out I've got lymes disease this week which probably explains why I've been a bit out of sorts.

That's a bummer . Sorry to hear it . Would that be from a tick bite ?

Hah, for my size I've got really dainty little hands, tonight I was just being an idiot really. Found out I've got lymes disease this week which probably explains why I've been a bit out of sorts.

Hell fire toadster, not good to hear, hope you’ve caught / got on top of it early enough, can be a bugger can that.

Just now, Toad said:

Yeah, had a number of ticks over the years, so it's not surprising. Got 3 weeks of antibiotics to take which might cause the symptoms to reappear but will clear the infection apparently.

Hope so bud .

• Like 2

Been a bit of a delay but mods done to the Huztl 372 kit build, as before it has the 52mm BB kit on it , base gasket delete with 1184 used ,  woods ported  and the side entry to transfer have been raised flush with cyl base to improve flow , 272 windowed piston single ring is 40 thou  taller, so 40 thou off the top to 8mm in from the side  to assist with transfer timing , had the open huztl  muffler and huztl carb , it run real good with a 20 inch bar full chisel oregon chain 4 tanks of fuel through it  still runs good ., the brake didnt seem to be real solid as it did lock but with a real pull on throttle it would spin the chain but not real fast , continued on to see if it bedded in, but was still the same so got a OEM one so was a bit shorter , and fitted easily and is rock solid now , 

so other mods done for fun  ? , open 385 xp muffler with bigger exit (its loud)  385 xp intake boot, 385 throttle cable bracket to sort the position relating to the throttle plate angles , walbro RWJ4B from 372xtorq so is biggest venturi on that series of saws then the 372 x torq air filter intake which is a bit less round  as the RWJ4 carb is bigger so it would foul the covers , if the 385 intake horn was used as its bigger so the xtorq fitted well and no fouling , then divider  plate cut out , carb  limiters removed for more fuel on high side.  cyl cover had to be  modded a bit as the 385 boot is a bit  bigger compared to 372  so was fouling the cover so material removed for clearance , but not much , 385 boot is internally bigger than  372 by nearly  2mm so a  taper ground out on the cyl  intake to match up with intake boot  the huztly choke lever fits fine but a tad longer but no issue , the 372 xtorq blue one actually fits better as it had a little kink on it  but the grey huztl one is fine and smooth and fits good anyway 

all assembled  and fired up after a few pulls , warmed up and did adjustments and tached to 13000  with high jet 4 stroking for more bedding in ,the throttle response is mental compared to the huztl  carb , going to be a ripper for sure , how long it lasts , who knows ? 

IMG_9419.JPG

IMG_9420.JPG

IMG_9421.JPG

IMG_9423.JPG

IMG_9426.JPG

IMG_9427.JPG

Edited by huskywilson
  • Like 2

will do  another mod , the airfilter is real tight under lowtop cover so might restrict airflow so ordered high top cover , felt HD big airfilter and HD Xtorq intake so much better flow ,the huztl filter is a tad loose so apply real  thick grease to stop fines getting in so better lifespan with the HD setup , 

• Like 1

I can empathise with the OP, I like to fiddle with small engines but don't want to tamper with my best saws. I rebuilt a few Stihl TS350 a couple of years ago before playing with saws. Can usually scrounge dead McCullochs to play with but prefer the usual Stihl/Husq/Jons

• Like 1

Think I've buggered it up a bit differently tonight. Pushed the oil seal in nice and flat with washers, and then tried to tap it a bit further with a socket so it's nicely home in the casting. I've got a feeling that I've actually driven it too far into the bearing now though. Boo.

Got a genuine crankshaft sleeve from a reputable supplier as the huztl one didn't look right - I think the seal had not been pushed in far enough, hence my over enthusiasm with the socket. Disappointingly, the new sleeve had a fair bit of surface corrosion on it and two fairly sharp nicks in the end of the widest section so I had to spend time with 800 grit wet and dry polishing it up.

Have discovered that the brake band also fails to locate properly when released, so binds on the clutch drum and interferes with the oiler pinion. Think I'll try chamfering the edges of the brake band locating pegs tomorrow to see if that improves it. 

Booooo. Knew it was a mistake working on it while feeling knackered tonight.