Huztl 372 kit build

Toad

My bodge of the husqvarna vent and huztl tank didn't work. I've ordered a new tank - £14 from China.

I replaced the oil pump drive after the original melted a bit but I'm not happy it is engaging properly. The chain is getting oil, having run it up, so I will keep an eye on it.

The oem brake band and spring definitely work well and the chain won't rotate, as you would expect, with it applied. 

Sadly during the strip down of the saw to replace these bits I've discovered that the crank seal on the pto side has melted a bit, this might be me not lubricating it enough, the heat from the melting clutch drive, being a bit crap or all three. I'll order some genuine ones and fit them - I hope this is fairly straightforward with the crank in place, I guess I'll find out soon enough!

Overall, I'm grumpy, but it's just little frustrations rather than any one significant issue. I knew that it would have a few of these things to sort.

Edited by Toad

27 minutes ago, spudulike said:

The melting seal, you need to make sure the seal is driven home fully and the thin shim washer has to be fitted to keep the oiler pinion from contacting the seal.

Thanks. I wonder if the melted pinion fibres got stuck in the seal which added to the issue. 

13 minutes ago, outonalimb said:

Seriously guys why would you go to some much bother with this Chinese crap ?

Well one reason for getting it was to become a lot more familiar with the construction of the saws and how to maintain them, I'm definitely becoming more familiar with how to take it apart. ? also, I wanted another saw, the options were >£500 for a new saw, £300 for a second hand saw with unknown problems, or £160 for this kit £70 perhaps for some bits and I get to learn a lot in the process. 

This chainsaw isn't going to earn me money or get used a great deal so a few issues aren't the end of the world.

Oh and a bit of research shows a number of these saws getting a fair bit of use in America without too many problems.

Edited by Toad
  • Like 1

I'm a little bit lost? What could I have purchased new for the same money? Luckily I have plenty of time to fiddle with, and you never know what useful little things will pop up because of the experience I'm getting. Beats watching strictly come dancing.

• Like 2

I don't disagree Bill. If I can find something interesting or useful at a decent price, I'll know a lot more about the realistic prospects of me building something useful out of it. I'd quite like a 357 or 560 if I can find one.

I am finding the size of the components a challenge - it's all a bit small compared to a car or tractor.