Huztl 372 kit build

Toad

Got it running tonight. Should have taken more photos through the process. Have been working on it after work during the week for an hour or two and for a while this morning and evening.

Had a few little issues, and have a few things to get over still, but hope to attack some wood with it tomorrow.

Sorted the issues with the clutch threads on Friday night so got on with fitting the o ring, bushing and washer on the oil pump side. Gasket matched and polished the exhaust port and finished tidying the inlet. Ground the carb plate back so that the piston and boot would fit. In hind sight a genuine boot would have been better.

This morning I used hermatite to seal the oil pickup pipe and fitted the oil pump. The oil pump drive spur did occasionally brush the spring when I tried it, but bending the spur out a little made it clear comfortably. Hand tightened the clutch after applying some copper grease. The washer and e clip supplied to hold the clutch on aren't really to my liking. The e clip is too loose and there is too much play behind the washer. I've got a spare set of both somewhere in a drawer so I'll try them.

Put the piston on and fitted the cylinder head to check the squish, as I suspected from looking at the cylinder, the squish band is smaller towards the centre of the cylinder and larger at the outside. The minimum squish was around 0.3mm so too tight without a gasket I believe. I think I might remove the cylinder and have it machined to flatten the squish band and delete the gasket, but for now I built it up and will worry about that later. 

Fiddled with the clamp for the inlet for a while and ended up with it at the bottom of the pipe with the screw head at the flywheel side as per the manual, but slightly rotated clockwise to miss the impulse pipe.

The carb, pipes and choke lever fitted without much incident. The metal ring was difficult to fit inside the intake pipe, but got there with a bit of fiddling.

The coil didn't fit terribly well with the flywheel - the centre point seems to be too far out compared to the top and bottom points, but it sparks which will do for now. 

Fitter the cylinder anti vibe spring and rotated it until it lined up with handle. Fairly happy with the fitment for now.

The main issue with fitment has been the exhaust. It's bolted up to the cylinder fine, but it seems to be twisted, the top doesn't line up with the cylinder fins and the front holes are a long way out. The bracket is a long way from fitting and will interfere with the dog. I hope it is the silencer rather than the cylinder. I've also run out of suitable bolts to hold the silencer and dog on. I've got a couple of long black coloured bolts and a medium length chrome plated bolt. I'll have to find some more suitable bolts to finish it.

The last issue I've had so far appeared when I tried to start it. It popped after a couple of pulls but wouldn't run. I kept trying and was rewarded with a few flames out of the exhaust and a backfire. Further investigation revealed that the key on the flywheel had sheared off completely. I might well not have tightened it properly. I cleared this all out, marked the position of the key on the face with a marker pen and fitted the flywheel in the correct place and tightened it down well. Then tried again. The saw started after a few pulls, idled steadily and reved up freely.

Pulling the saw over without the decomp gives the impression that the compression is higher than my genuine 37à.

The top plastics don't fit brilliantly due to the intake boot being wrong and the fitment against the ground out carb plate. I might drill the holes in the covers out a bit bigger as the screws have to thread through them and this makes fitting and removing them difficult, and I think I might end up removing them a fair bit.

20181006_195645.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stubby said:

I admire your tenacity !

To be honest, I'm just bored and need something to do. I'm going to get some wood off a friend and sell a few little bags of logs through the farm shop I think which would pay for the saw.

Had more of a fiddle with the saw this morning and changed a few bits I don't like, took the mounting bracket off the front of the muffler and fitted the dog, the screw supplied for the roller chain catcher was too short, so fitted the usual aluminium L shaped piece and a longer bolt. Tached it to 12k rpm and had a bit of a go on a few bits of beech. The saw ran well and cuts nicely with a 20" bar and full chisel chain.

Have found a few issues with the saw, I knew it wouldn't be perfect, so this was to be expected. 

The chain brake doesn't work. I think the brake band is too long as it doesn't clamp the drum tightly and when the brake is off it tries to uncool from the plastic nubbin. I'll order a genuine one and see if that fixes it.

The oil pump adjuster spring caught, snapped and the screw undid. This was suggested as a likely issue but I thought I could get around it by bending the pinion. The pinion has melted on the inside, I think this might be the issue with the spring, screw etc. Luckily I have a complete spare oil pump if I need it. I'll order a genuine spring.

The petrol tank breather leaks fuel quite badly when tipped on its side. Will have to replace it.

The main thing I've taken from this build is a bit more confidence with 2 strokes, and enthusiasm to strip my 371 down and refresh it.

• Like 2

that was a nice post there , most of similar  with my build , the muffler on mine was lined up well and the support plate was a tiny bit away , maybe 1mm most , so just tightened it down anyway , the top cover was fine on mine , the bolts dropped in and screwed in easy compared to yours , but as you said a bit bigger hole will line up , the sheared flywheel will be common i think as its just a wee nub in it , i torqued mine to 26 lb ft which is a lot in a fine thread , i almost suspected the thread to strip but so far so good   if yours  does it again maybe get a small file and slowly file a slot in the flywheel  as the crank has a slot and a woodruff key  so will be better probablly . i,ll be running mine  again soon  when i get a bigger carb  and intake boot  from a 385 xp but as the carb is bigger it takes up space so then needs air filter intake from a 372 x torq which is wider but not round so fits in so  will be a ripper ? 

Edited by huskywilson

Cheers. :)

I'm really looking forward to getting over the little niggles and starting to use it properly.

Yours sounds like an awesome project. I work in an office these days, I really don't need a saw, let alone a bigger saw, but things like that makes me want to invest in more toys. Hah. Hopefully I'll get all the spares by next weekend and have it up and running then.

• Like 1

Tried swapping the tank breather tonight. The huztl unit is a sintered bronze filter in front of a little rubber tube in a stepped plastic tube. It's a right turd to remove. The bronze is hard to drill into to get a screw to bite to pull it out. The plastic tube is fitted tightly inside the tank, and finally, none of the oem parts fit once you've buggered the huztl part.

The outside diameter of the husqvarna part is about 1mm too large, so in desperation I fitted it into the pillar drill and used wet and dry to take the diameter down and give it a bit of a taper. I used instant gasket and tapped it in using a punch. The foam plug is then too small for the tube into the tank, so I cut the original breather tube off about 1cm long, filled the hole in the sintered brass with solder and then pushed the bit of tube with the brass inside it back into the tank. Fingers crossed it actually works.... brake and oil pump tomorrow.