Any ropes with no sheath slip when damaged?

James905

I am on the hunt for a new climbing line!

What i am after is a rope with no sheath slippage when damaged, these ropes already exist in the rock climbing work with videos of sheath slip and objects decking out to go with it... think about it.... Everything we use relies on the sheath, zigzag, hitches, spider jacks, rope wrench etc...
so your rope gets a tad worn or snags above you while working, that rubs away or just gets worse through weight bearing, the sheath is compromised and slips like taking a sock off.... end result is you going down.
Doesn't take much to compromise the sheath when weighted to tear the whole way round. 

I know BEAL do a 'unicore' rope already for arb work but at 13mm, its way too big for SRT or zigzag. 

Video showing compromised sheath and the outcome to friction device.... think about it when your climbing next and you will see what i mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtURlhPssQI

Anyone know anything that fits the bill? possibly Cousin Atrax potentially. 

Stay safe guys :)

Edited by James905

There is a Teufelber her on, I forget the name. If you search for YouTube videos of kernmantle rope failure you'll see the sheath does not slide all the way down , it kind of bunches and as it does, friction builds and it self breaks. This a

Is actually a good thing, as it kind of acts like a shock absorber. I wouldn't worry about it. 

• Like 1

There is a Teufelber her on, I forget the name. If you search for YouTube videos of kernmantle rope failure you'll see the sheath does not slide all the way down , it kind of bunches and as it does, friction builds and it self breaks. This a
Is actually a good thing, as it kind of acts like a shock absorber. I wouldn't worry about it. 
It's always amazed me since I've been in the arb world, that there is not more focus on sheath safety and the results of what happens with damage

Scratch my post! I can't find the vid I saw now, but that was freaky. Now I want a non slip rope too.
You watch the link I put on? Been in head every vertical pull I do since I watched it.
Especially using SRT when your foot ascenders are invasive (spike) along with hand ascenders etc....

2 minutes ago, stihlmadasever said:

Dont really see this as an issue if im being honest.Ive never came across,

read,seen or heard of this happening.

Odds are its more probable to cut your rope with a saw or silky(which i have) than have your rope unshealth!

Agreed.  More of an issue in rock climbing rope than tree climbing rope I would say

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a pal who had the sheath fail while ascending a static rope on a frogj setup (croll + hand jammer). As said he came to a slow and gentle stop as the sheath bunched up beneath him. Then had to go up the exposed core strands...

Obviously only works if there's a knot in the end though... personally I'd rather a rope with bonded core and sheath.

• Like 1