Vanguard 37hp efi

Ty Korrigan

Hello,

Just for peoples info.

I'm now running the new GM 150p which is fitted with one of these engines.

10 hours now on the clock, 51m3 of chip produced.

The fuel consumption per hour to date is 4.5litres which costs me around €7.60 for SP98.

I'm very pleased with that as I was expecting a far higher figure.

So far my observations are quite positive.

Chip quality is very fine from it's 4 disc blades and is thrown strongly to the rear of the chip box.

The new style longer infeed folds up so creates great additional storage.

The running gear is uprated to 950kg which should cope well long term with the 690kg weight.

The tow hitch is sturdy and lockable.

As I stow the chipper in my garage, I ordered the optional chute support which fixes to the drawbar. It is the work of a minute to undo 2 bolts and fold the chute down.

My previous GM was the 200 model.

In France we have additional stop buttons which I will get retro fitted.

The bottom stop bar is very sensitive, requires uprated springs I feel.

My old Quadchip could reverse the rollers by pulling on the stop bar, I liked that feature and wish the 150p had that feature rather than having to fumble for a side button.

An optional spare wheel carrier wouldn't go amiss for those of us who are not affected by towing weights.

Stuart

20180903_232735.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Hello,

Just for peoples info.

I'm now running the new GM 150p which is fitted with one of these engines.

10 hours now on the clock, 51m3 of chip produced.

The fuel consumption per hour to date is 4.5litres which costs me around €7.60 for SP98.

I'm very pleased with that as I was expecting a far higher figure.

So far my observations are quite positive.

Chip quality is very fine from it's 4 disc blades and is thrown strongly to the rear of the chip box.

The new style longer infeed folds up so creates great additional storage.

The running gear is uprated to 950kg which should cope well long term with the 690kg weight.

The tow hitch is sturdy and lockable.

As I stow the chipper in my garage, I ordered the optional chute support which fixes to the drawbar. It is the work of a minute to undo 2 bolts and fold the chute down.

My previous GM was the 200 model.

In France we have additional stop buttons which I will get retro fitted.

The bottom stop bar is very sensitive, requires uprated springs I feel.

My old Quadchip could reverse the rollers by pulling on the stop bar, I liked that feature and wish the 150p had that feature rather than having to fumble for a side button.

An optional spare wheel carrier wouldn't go amiss for those of us who are not affected by towing weights.

Stuart

20180903_232735.jpg

The fuel costs just dont stack up against diesel. 4.5 litres in an hour, about £2.40 in red diesel, So every hour on the clock is costing another fiver?

Yes, U.K bought although I rather thought the machines were all made to the same 'norm' these days.

Perfidious French!z

Until I get a stop switch fitted it does not conform to the tighter French safety regs.

Of course these things are only important when you have an accident using the machine or want to re-sell.

Reading into the new regs here, all existing machines must be converted to bottom bar with a minimum of 120cm to the feed rollers.

Machines which do not conform can no longer be used or sold unless for parts.

Stuart

47 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

The fuel costs just dont stack up against diesel. 4.5 litres in an hour, about £2.40 in red diesel, So every hour on the clock is costing another fiver?

Red diesel is almost finished in France.

Gasoil non-routier will no longer available to any-one other than farmers or trains. 

We must all run on white.

The purchase price is lower than a diesel, fuel consumption and cost slightly higher, lower cost of interest on finance due to lower price. 

Playing around with figures, I deduce that over the 5 years I will own the machine, the cost is about the same as a diesel.

However the initial investment was lower.

Besides this, I live opposite a petrol station.

Diesel will certainly rise in price as it is slowly squeezed out of fashion.

My house is rented and I have no local yard, thus I am limited by law to storing no more than 20litres of petrol (Aspen in my case) or diesel so a 200litre barrel of cherry bought from a farmer is out of the question.

I get stopped by the Douane a couple of times a year who dip my tanks.

If they find cherry in them after the date for stopping it's use has passed then it's trouble at mill.

So lot's of good reasons for choosing a petrol engine over diesel.

Stuart

Edited by Ty Korrigan
Factoids...
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Red diesel is almost finished in France.

Gasoil non-routier will no longer available to any-one other than farmers or trains. 

We must all run on white.

The purchase price is lower than a diesel, fuel consumption and cost slightly higher, lower cost of interest on finance due to lower price. 

Playing around with figures, I deduce that over the 5 years I will own the machine, the cost is about the same as a diesel.

However the initial investment was lower.

Stuart

Really? No issue down here with buying cherry.

Here is one of many articles online.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/conso/2018/09/24/20010-20180924ARTFIG00306-en-2019-le-prix-du-gazole-va-quasiment-rattraper-celui-de-l-essence.php

GNR (which replaced fioul in 2011) will only be available to farmers and the rail transport sector from January 1st 2019

Diesel at the pump to rise by around 7cents.

I think the maritime guys have their own diesel stained blue.

Stuart