Yard security

Rough Hewn

Looking at a small yard near me,

Wondering to what extent others go to?

I'm needing to store a trailer, mini chipper, caravan, and lots of tools.

Obviously logs and timber too.

We already have a local pyromaniac who has set about 15 fires in the last 3 months. Only bins and rubbish/mattresses so far.

So....

I'm thinking corrugated iron fencing, big bolts, sheet steel clad gate.

Razor wire, booby traps and gun turrets might be going a bit far, but there not off the table [emoji12]

Thoughts/advice appreciated

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Good morning Rough Hewn
Palisade security fencing and gates, 7 feet high minimum, top the rails off with barbed wire on outward facing angled hangers, cover the fence prongs with dirty old grease and plant pyracantha in front of it.Set sensors/cameras in the yard that connect to your mobile device or phone if possible. Get a GSD as a companion and have him/her trained to protect you if you ever have the misfortune to come into contact with the scumbags.

• Like 3

Good advice above.  A lot of it will come down to your budget though.  Pyracantha should be incorporated into whatever you do though.  Fences can be scaled, even spiked palasade fencing but pyracantha is pure evil.

We have a lot in place at our yard to the point it takes 20 minutes just to get into the yard in the morning.  We have not had any trouble in 20 years of business so far but thats not to say its inpenetrable.  I find it hard to believe the place hasn't been cased out in all those years though as its visible from the road.  They just haven't found out the best way to get in or have just written it off as not worth the risk.  I'm sure our time will come though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Good advice above.  A lot of it will come down to your budget though.  Pyracantha should be incorporated into whatever you do though.  Fences can be scaled, even spiked palasade fencing but pyracantha is pure evil.

We have a lot in place at our yard to the point it takes 20 minutes just to get into the yard in the morning.  We have not had any trouble in 20 years of business so far but thats not to say its inpenetrable.  I find it hard to believe the place hasn't been cased out in all those years though as its visible from the road.  They just haven't found out the best way to get in or have just written it off as not worth the risk.  I'm sure our time will come though.

As long as there are easier marks about then you should be safe(ish).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jcarbor said:

Good morning Rough Hewn
Palisade security fencing and gates, 7 feet high minimum, top the rails off with barbed wire on outward facing angled hangers, cover the fence prongs with dirty old grease and plant pyracantha in front of it.Set sensors/cameras in the yard that connect to your mobile device or phone if possible. Get a GSD as a companion and have him/her trained to protect you if you ever have the misfortune to come into contact with the scumbags.

I worked for a company several years ago who got done over big time.  Their reaction was to do much as you've done, massive amount of security including digging a massive trench the field side of the yard.  Took him a good 20 minutes to get into the place every day.

I worked for a company several years ago who got done over big time.  Their reaction was to do much as you've done, massive amount of security including digging a massive trench the field side of the yard.  Took him a good 20 minutes to get into the place every day.

Our depot is like Fort Knox, takes ages to open up and lock up.
Still got turned by professionals over a few years back.
That's why I'm thinking a caravan and an alarm, camera feed to mobile.
And I live 30yards away.
I had a chat with arborisk a while back about insurance for tools, chipper, trailer etc.
Basically it has to be locked down inside a locked building in a locked compound.
Can see this is going to take a while.
[emoji51]

2 hours ago, agrimog said:

security is easy, get a homeless ex-serviceman, put him on site in a caravan, feed and look after him, your yard will be safe as can be, and you get another ex-serviceman off the streets and back into society

I like your thinking, but you could just give him a job and get a better security system with the money he earns your business.

• Like 1