Commission for staff/Finders Fee?

jrose

Whenever I get weekend work for myself I’m able to hire kit from my boss. The rule is though “nothing to large” in the sense of job size.

This works for me because I like to keep personally jobs smallish for the time being as having to hire kit of my boss. So the odd small- medium dismantle and reduction works perfect.

Anything substantial goes through my boss and his company and he’ll sort us out.

As they're sub contractors and not on the books, they're effectively competition in my eyes, and as such if they want your kit they should pay for it/you should charge them your standard "rate" or the rate you give other companies if you are subbing to them. 

Whatever they charge on top for themselves is theirs wether its £100 or £1000 and if its underpriced they are the ones taking the hit, not you, you still charge them the agreed rate for your services.

They're their own company at the end of the day and need to grow a pair rather than having their cake and eating it hiding behind you.

If they were on the books then yeah, a finders fee sounds a good idea

• Like 2

I'm at the subbie end of this. If I bring in a job, I get a bonus which is roughly around the 10% mark. Part of the deal is that I do the leg work: look at the job and quote for it. If I'm not sure, I'll get the guy I work for to have a look too. I would not expect a bonus if there's no profit on the job. I have not significantly got it wrong (yet).

We can generally borrow work stuff for our own purposes, but not the expensive kit like the chipper or stumpgrinder. The understanding is that I break it, I fix it. Again, this works both ways. I have some kit that the guy I work for doesn't, and that occasionally gets used at work. I bring a fairly comprehensive set of rigging kit and range of saws to every job anyway, so I like to think that this is a win-win, you scratch my back, I scratch yours type of situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blah said:

I'm at the subbie end of this. If I bring in a job, I get a bonus which is roughly around the 10% mark. Part of the deal is that I do the leg work: look at the job and quote for it. If I'm not sure, I'll get the guy I work for to have a look too. I would not expect a bonus if there's no profit on the job. I have not significantly got it wrong (yet).

We can generally borrow work stuff for our own purposes, but not the expensive kit like the chipper or stumpgrinder. The understanding is that I break it, I fix it. Again, this works both ways. I have some kit that the guy I work for doesn't, and that occasionally gets used at work. I bring a fairly comprehensive set of rigging kit and range of saws to every job anyway, so I like to think that this is a win-win, you scratch my back, I scratch yours type of situation.

You’re doing it wrong, look at the tree, quote it with plenty of fat, then sub in a firm to provide a chipper and groundies, do it, keep more of the money.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

You’re doing it wrong.... sub in a firm to provide a chipper and groundies, do it, keep more of the cash

You also take more risk.. if the client doesn't pay up the team you employed still want paying. 

If you screw up and it takes twice as long same..  Most if not all of us will have lost money on jobs now and again.. 

It can also increase my risk too. Can you afford to pay me if the client doesn't pay you.. If you have employed me but don't get paid I will be chasing you and if you don't have the ability to pay it is you I will be persusing in the courts but that's not much help if you don't have a pot to p in.. 

When you start to think about it it gets complicated... 

Edited by benedmonds