Fence removal

DanBous

Hi all fencers....I do a fair bit of domestic fencing, often ripping out wooden 4x4 inch posts and replacing with concrete posts. I'm getting a bit fed up of manually digging them out, ending up with a hole that's too wide... assuming that the posts are still sound I'm thinking possibly hiring a digger and pulling them out the ground with the ball of concrete on the end!! Anyone on here tried this?? What size digger as a minimum? Your help would be much appreciated asap! Many thanks

Use a big demolition hammer drill to break up the concrete ball before you get it out. That way you should have a smaller hole than if you just dig it all out in one.
I've always fancied the idea of pulling them out with a chain hoist on a tripod frame, but never got round to trying it. I've got a feeling that it may still produce a big hole unfortunately if the post was concreted in. Though if it's a vintage hardwood post just stuck in ground bare then it should just pull straight out leaving a nice clean hole.
Changing the pitch of the first panel, and hence position of all subsequent holes is the easiest solution, as long as the customer doesn't mind the slight visual discrepancy.

A decent size breaker is going to come in at what, 50kg? Without the hoses to drag, and the power pack, depending on length of hoses. You'll probably do more damage in a domestic garden than it's worth.

Vesp might have a point, excuse the pun, about using an electric breaker but long term I've found them to be pretty rubbish. And you're going to have to have a genny.

Also, using breakers down holes you can't stand in is hard work on your back.

Each to their own mind.

I think you'd have more luck lifting with a digger as you can wobble it to loosen it. A straight upwards pull is surprisingly hard. The downside is access and cost.

Would be interesting to try one of those chainsaw winches on a frame.

I've just done this with 4 of the 70's council style concrete posts used for chainlink fence by public footpaths. You can see the first of them at the corner of the wall behind the log pile.

It's little jobs like this that makes me really appreciate the engcon, while it could not be justified for this alone, all these small 'bonuses' to add up. Rather than burning an hour of physical labour it took 5 mins and I was on with next job.

Imagine the bucket attached and flat on the floor with the gripper behind it clasping the post, then crowd the bucket using it as a lever and pop out she came complete with base.

RVZCfhG.jpg

Edited by donnk