Unimog U1300L tipper

BunyipBen

On 18/02/2020 at 07:47, BunyipBen said:

IMG_8901.jpgIMG_8903.jpgIMG_8904.jpgIMG_8905.jpg

On the road now just getting some fittings welded onto the rear for safety chains on the chipper, then I can start doing some jobs

really like that,  looks to have good chip capacity as some MOGS appear to have small chip bins.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wicklamulla said:

really like that,  looks to have good chip capacity as some MOGS appear to have small chip bins.

Building on the U1300L allowed for 3.2m long rear body, the U1300L has a wheelbase of 3.25m and the L stands for longer chassis overhang at the rear. These L configured trucks can not have the rear 3 point linkage as far as I am aware, but that did not concern me as I am planning on towing my Rayco RC1824 chipper behind. We kept the height of the chip bin down in line with the cab as it already sits high enough and looking for accessibility under overhanging limbs on driveways etc and also keen to keep the centre of gravity down so as not to encourage roll over when driving on uneven terrain. I haven't really calculated the chip capacity correctly yet I will have to put the tape measure over it again and do some sums.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 22/06/2020 at 19:22, KristofferNJ said:

That Mog really looks awesome, especially with that winch on the front! Seems you can go anywhere with that! 
How can you tow with one of those? :)

I am towing my RaycoRC1824 chipper that weighs over 4t, the Mog pulls it fine a bit slow up hills. From what I can tell the U1300L can tow 10t as specified by Mercedes Benz, but I would need to upgrade the tow hitch which is only rated to 5t. The problem here in Australia is the road regulation only lets you tow a trailer weight equal to the weight of the truck pulling the load, so theoretically I can tow an 8t trailer if the Unimog is loaded to 8t. I have bought an 8t trailer hoping to tow my 6t excavator but I am waiting at the moment before trying this as I think I will need to upgrade the engine horsepower. I am guessing the truck is tuned at around 130-140 hp now and i would like to tune it up to 200hp+

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BunyipBen said:

I am towing my RaycoRC1824 chipper that weighs over 4t, the Mog pulls it fine a bit slow up hills. From what I can tell the U1300L can tow 10t as specified by Mercedes Benz, but I would need to upgrade the tow hitch which is only rated to 5t. The problem here in Australia is the road regulation only lets you tow a trailer weight equal to the weight of the truck pulling the load, so theoretically I can tow an 8t trailer if the Unimog is loaded to 8t. I have bought an 8t trailer hoping to tow my 6t excavator but I am waiting at the moment before trying this as I think I will need to upgrade the engine horsepower. I am guessing the truck is tuned at around 130-140 hp now and i would like to tune it up to 200hp+

200 HP sounds like a great idea for mowing 16 tonnes. 
I wasent aware of that Tow rule, but it sounds like a decent idea when thinking about braking and so on. Of course it is annoying when you have truck that changes weight multiple times during the day :P

Is the Mog the only vehicle you guys run? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Mog the only vehicle you guys run? [emoji4]

I also have a Mazda BT-50, it is my daily drive and carries most of my equipment. I do a bit of contract climbing and work on an electricity vegetation management gig. There is not much storage boxes on the Unimog yet so it’s easy for someone to drive out in the Mazda otherwise if I am working on my own I just throw some gear in the back of the truck or the chipper tray.

IMG_0468.thumb.jpg.698f0f95287b97f18239cccc355300f9.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

• Like 7