Unimog U1300L tipper

BunyipBen

Hi Guys

I imported a exBW U1300L Unimog from Germany to Australia and had the right hand drive conversion done. It has also had CLAAS overdrive fitted, it is powered by the OM366A and has fast axles. It was a 1987 build that went back to MB factory in 1997 to be refurbished and come out with a new compliance plate. The fabrication of a 3 way tipper started with the purchase of hydraulic cylinder and pump from Atkinson Vos and the rear body is made with drop sides, rear barn doors and it has a removable canopy with top hinged sides and the walls and roof are made from 3mm aluminium. All the fabricated parts have been powder coated and are now to be assembled back on the truck. I am getting workgroup gearbox fitted and hope to add exhaust brakes. A custom winch bar with Superwinch H15p on the front and helper springs in the rear will almost finish it off. I would like to add an intercooler and an exhaust system that exits out the rear to allow for more underbody storage space and get a toolbox to fit. An uprated Ringfeder hitch will allow to tow heavier loads but the current NATO hitch will be sufficient to tow my Rayco RC1824 chipper at 4.3t. I can't wait to get it on a job, we have a lot of hilly country here on the North Coast of New South Wales and a red volcanic soil with a lot of clay that is slippery when wet i don't think I could dream of a better setup. I will post updates as it comes along.

Cheers

Ben

IMG_0896.jpeg

IMG_0897.jpeg

IMG_0898.jpeg

IMG_0899.jpeg

IMG_0900.jpeg

IMG_0377.jpeg

54738580563__E1FF38A1-FF96-4D4C-8476-30AF0A346BD0.jpeg

IMG_1431.JPG

• Like 11

Nice truck! Funny thing is recently there has been an influx of ex Aussie army mogs into the UK, how come you didn't go for one of those?

Yes there are a lot of ex ADF U1700L38 trucks coming onto the market and the price they get at auction has come right down, you can expect to pay just above or below $20 000 Aud and they come up every month. They are just a bigger heavier truck than the U1300L 7t empty vs around 5t and can carry more 12t vs 7.5t and I don’t think I need the extra payload, when towing the U1700L38 can pull 12.5t and the U1300L 10.5t. I really wanted the fast axle ratio as Australia is a big place with some distance between towns and I will be doing some highway travel, the OM366A engine seemed more desirable over the OM352A.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 18/10/2018 at 08:38, Lust4life said:

Do Aussie army not run fast axles as

fitted optiom?

Not in most trucks, a few later model U1750 were used by the Defence Forces fitted with OM366A and may have fast axles but they are rare. The older New Zealand Army U1300L came out with fast axles but non turbo OM352

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...