MS 231 16 “ bar questions

Occasional

Afternoon guys, this is my first post so hello to everyone I’ve had a scan through this place seems like there’s some clever folk on here.

i was cutting up some willow yesterday and in the last hour I noticed the bar was getting really hot and smoking the oil.

the sprocket seems free enough on the end and the chain is sharp. I’ve checked it’s throwing oil on the chain with a sheet on white paper it seems to put enough on. 

The only thing as I can see if there is abit of wobble underneath the bar on the chain even when it’s got some tension on it.

Does anyone know if an 18 inch bar will fit it? 

Cheers rob

Had this on my 026 running a 16” bar, turned out for me that the bar was faulty, it was a laminated rollomatic E bar and the nose sprocket was starting to nip up as a result of the bar being bent / stressed, puzzled me for a while and was blaming a dull chain but the new bar cured it.

3 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

what chainsaw is it?  Impossible to say what bar will fit without knowing the model

It’s a Stihl ms231 only a year or so old now. 

2 hours ago, htb said:

How sharp is the chain?

Pics?

Brand new chain, and one I hadn’t long sharpend. I’ll take some pics later on and up load them mate.

it does seem to smoke more at the nose end than anywhere else. 

I may try a new bar then lads 

cheers rob

4 hours ago, Occasional said:

The only thing as I can see if there is abit of wobble underneath the bar on the chain even when it’s got some tension on it.

You are not trying to tighten it up so it doesn't wobble are you ? You should be able to pull the chain out so far and there is a limit to how tight you need to go.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, peatff said:

You are not trying to tighten it up so it doesn't wobble are you ? You should be able to pull the chain out so far and there is a limit to how tight you need to go.

I don’t believe I’m tightening it too much mate no.

i tighten it to the point it’s got enough give when I pinch it