Whats the most efficient system to cut and split rings?

Woodworks

If all goes to plan I have just acquired a 10'x5' roller table for scrap money. The rollers are on a chain and a 3 phase motor. No 3 phase here but I recon if I disconnect the motor and attach a winding handle instead so should be able to have the rings feed straight to the splitter ?

4 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

The Posch is faster than it looks actually and we love it - but the amount of oversize is killing us. 1/2 a 25T load 2 weeks ago was oversize - murder !

If I was in your shoes I would be looking at cutting a track to get the lorries to the processor, possible harvest the stone from site (ugg - maybe not if granite) and getting a log deck you can load from stack to deck. You know about ibc's and everything is in place to grow your business and have an easier life further down the road.

You already have a great reputation, so it would be easy to expand your customer base. Dare I say you are limiting your own growth - think BIG, or at least larger.

It's always easier looking in from the outside of course. ?

Thanks but I dont want to get any busier. Quite like the easy life and being skint haha.

• Like 1

Split em down till they are small enough to fit in the bay of a firewood processor, thats what I do.  Stand alone splitters are notoriously slow and boring to use.  Most of the time an axe is a lot quicker if the wood is easy to split.  I have watched people spend all day on a vertical splitter and barely make up 2 loads.

On 25/09/2018 at 18:18, Woodworks said:

If all goes to plan I have just acquired a 10'x5' roller table for scrap money. The rollers are on a chain and a 3 phase motor. No 3 phase here but I recon if I disconnect the motor and attach a winding handle instead so should be able to have the rings feed straight to the splitter ?

Or fit hydraulic motor run off the tractor service through basic spool valve.?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chopalog said:

Split em down till they are small enough to fit in the bay of a firewood processor, thats what I do.  Stand alone splitters are notoriously slow and boring to use.  Most of the time an axe is a lot quicker if the wood is easy to split.  I have watched people spend all day on a vertical splitter and barely make up 2 loads.

Yes I have seen splitters like that but ours is quite quick. Got a day on rings tomorrow and recon my mate will probably fill 10 crates if all goes well. 

1 hour ago, rowan lee said:

Nice day for it. 10 in a shift isn't bad for someone who is working for you. Looks like nice stuff for splitting.

Yes probably some of nicest oversize wood I have ever had. No messing around having to get the blade all the way to the bottom of the log to make them separate. An inch or two in and they went. The guy who helps me out is a good grafter

4 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Yes probably some of nicest oversize wood I have ever had. No messing around having to get the blade all the way to the bottom of the log to make them separate. An inch or two in and they went. The guy who helps me out is a good grafter

More like 14 metres if he fills them to that level ! Some great photos there in the sunshine ?