Jump to content
Woodworks

Whats the most efficient system to cut and split rings?

Recommended Posts

If all goes to plan I have just acquired a 10'x5' roller table for scrap money. The rollers are on a chain and a 3 phase motor. No 3 phase here but I recon if I disconnect the motor and attach a winding handle instead so should be able to have the rings feed straight to the splitter 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

The Posch is faster than it looks actually and we love it - but the amount of oversize is killing us. 1/2 a 25T load 2 weeks ago was oversize - murder !

 

If I was in your shoes I would be looking at cutting a track to get the lorries to the processor, possible harvest the stone from site (ugg - maybe not if granite) and getting a log deck you can load from stack to deck. You know about ibc's and everything is in place to grow your business and have an easier life further down the road.

 

You already have a great reputation, so it would be easy to expand your customer base. Dare I say you are limiting your own growth - think BIG, or at least larger.

 

It's always easier looking in from the outside of course. 😄

Thanks but I dont want to get any busier. Quite like the easy life and being skint haha.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Split em down till they are small enough to fit in the bay of a firewood processor, thats what I do.  Stand alone splitters are notoriously slow and boring to use.  Most of the time an axe is a lot quicker if the wood is easy to split.  I have watched people spend all day on a vertical splitter and barely make up 2 loads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/09/2018 at 18:18, Woodworks said:

If all goes to plan I have just acquired a 10'x5' roller table for scrap money. The rollers are on a chain and a 3 phase motor. No 3 phase here but I recon if I disconnect the motor and attach a winding handle instead so should be able to have the rings feed straight to the splitter 😀

Or fit hydraulic motor run off the tractor service through basic spool valve.😏

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chopalog said:

Split em down till they are small enough to fit in the bay of a firewood processor, thats what I do.  Stand alone splitters are notoriously slow and boring to use.  Most of the time an axe is a lot quicker if the wood is easy to split.  I have watched people spend all day on a vertical splitter and barely make up 2 loads.

Yes I have seen splitters like that but ours is quite quick. Got a day on rings tomorrow and recon my mate will probably fill 10 crates if all goes well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Yes I have seen splitters like that but ours is quite quick. Got a day on rings tomorrow and recon my mate will probably fill 10 crates if all goes well. 

9 1/2 crates as it turns out but no too bad

IMG_20180927_180338.jpg

IMG_20180927_180315.jpg

IMG_20180927_092839.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rowan lee said:

Nice day for it. 10 in a shift isn't bad for someone who is working for you. Looks like nice stuff for splitting.

Yes probably some of nicest oversize wood I have ever had. No messing around having to get the blade all the way to the bottom of the log to make them separate. An inch or two in and they went. The guy who helps me out is a good grafter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Yes probably some of nicest oversize wood I have ever had. No messing around having to get the blade all the way to the bottom of the log to make them separate. An inch or two in and they went. The guy who helps me out is a good grafter

More like 14 metres if he fills them to that level ! Some great photos there in the sunshine 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

9 1/2 crates as it turns out but no too bad

IMG_20180927_180338.jpg

IMG_20180927_180315.jpg

IMG_20180927_092839.jpg

Nicely stacked discs but when you said splitting rings i thought they would be bigger 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.