Whats the most efficient system to cut and split rings?

Woodworks

10 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Thanks chaps

Cant justify a Fuelwood Splitter. Dont do enough wood but would love one.

Billeting them first. It's possible but I suspect slow. Also putting split wood through the processor the wood tends not to fall well in the splitting chamber requiring correction. 

I think you are right Rowan. I have a piece of flat steel sheet on the trailer which aids sliding the rings around. No concrete in my yard I am afraid nor a backstop but it's a good idea. Yes I do operate the saw from the side. It's only an Ifor and I take the sides off.

As I said earlier I have been over thinking this. Made a start yesterday and rings aren't as heavy as I thought so stacking the rings manually prior to splitting is easier than expected but pleased several of you think rings on a trailer is the way to go.

Always worth thinking about how you can make things better

Maybe some kind of set up with a roller table would help?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/corner-roller-table/232766766161?hash=item3631fafc51:g:JfUAAOSwf05a9ycm

Or if you have a raised area, cut the logs at the top and make a chute for them to come down so they finish up at waist height next to the splitter

Edited by scbk
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, scbk said:

Always worth thinking about how you can make things better

Maybe some kind of set up with a roller table would help?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/corner-roller-table/232766766161?hash=item3631fafc51:g:JfUAAOSwf05a9ycm

That would be slick. Rowans idea with the loader onto a big table of these would be magic.

8 hours ago, SbTVF said:

The bloke who imports the growi x-power hires the demo machine out at £350 per day including 2 men excluding transport. Takes up 1m rings and can easily do 50m3 per day. He reckoned 80m3 was doable if it was all over 500mm Would clear your 2 wagon loads in the 2 days maximum.

It’s about 40k to buy as the base model.

That's incredible value for kit that must cost a bomb. Mind you not including transport is probably the catch for us as I am presuming they are nowhere near the SW. Did see the Growi at the APF a few years ago but not working as something had gone badly wrong with it. Cant remember how you load the rings on it but might do a bit of research

There's no quick way all you can do is make life easier, you are doing that by lifting with crane and cutting in to trailer.

Customer of mine had big oak rings he could not lift got me to put them on his Hycrack splitter with crane bit tricky at first but once I got the hang of it was quick.

That's incredible value for kit that must cost a bomb. Mind you not including transport is probably the catch for us as I am presuming they are nowhere near the SW. Did see the Growi at the APF a few years ago but not working as something had gone badly wrong with it. Cant remember how you load the rings on it but might do a bit of research

Find the growi uk website and give him a ring. He was more than happy to discuss the options with me and I was only thinking of buying in some oversize! Very helpful guy. He would even come with an extra man and 2 395’s to ring up for you if you wanted!

Think he’s Hertfordshire based if I recall correctly. Even it ended up £500 a day, if you did 50m3 that’s still cheap I reckon!

On 22/09/2018 at 14:59, Woodworks said:

To be fair the Farmi can take a 40cm ring but all the re-splitting is a faff with the reaching over to retrieve them. As you put it grid cutting on the splitter leaves a perfect product and not a lot slower than rings through through the processor when you have to do endless re-splits. Biggest I would put through the 6 way would be 10" and everything over needs re-splitting for what I am wanting.

Thought you were getting a Tajfun and not a Posch?

Edit. Scrub that I see you are selling that one. As said you have looked after it beautifully by the looks of it. The build and finish on the Posch is great but watching a demo of the Tajfun at the show I recon you have made a good choice. The flaps that lower the log to stop it flipping look very  good and the build quality looks OK

I was going to build a splitter with a metre wide roller infeed that finished within 14" of splitter knife centre, so that large 2ft dia. hardwood rings would slide off the trailer or pallet across the rollers and its own inertia would take the ring under the knife. A used conveyor on the right of table taking the split into IBC's.

Trailer or pallets of rings always just above wide roller infeed - never lifting those heavy rings.

I decided easier and far more cost effective to change to the 480 processor - soon !

1 hour ago, arboriculturist said:

I was going to build a splitter with a metre wide roller infeed that finished within 14" of splitter knife centre, so that large 2ft dia. hardwood rings would slide off the trailer or pallet across the rollers and its own inertia would take the ring under the knife. A used conveyor on the right of table taking the split into IBC's.

Trailer or pallets of rings always just above wide roller infeed - never lifting those heavy rings.

I decided easier and far more cost effective to change to the 480 processor - soon !

They do look great if you have the work for it. Bet you cant wait as they look way faster than the Posch.

I cant justify that kind of outlay for our tiny outfit though.

57 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

They do look great if you have the work for it. Bet you cant wait as they look way faster than the Posch.

I cant justify that kind of outlay for our tiny outfit though.

The Posch is faster than it looks actually and we love it - but the amount of oversize is killing us. 1/2 a 25T load 2 weeks ago was oversize - murder !

If I was in your shoes I would be looking at cutting a track to get the lorries to the processor, possible harvest the stone from site (ugg - maybe not if granite) and getting a log deck you can load from stack to deck. You know about ibc's and everything is in place to grow your business and have an easier life further down the road.

You already have a great reputation, so it would be easy to expand your customer base. Dare I say you are limiting your own growth - think BIG, or at least larger.

It's always easier looking in from the outside of course. ?

Edited by arboriculturist
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

Have to say there are times when a little conveyor off to the side would be great.

The roller idea mentioned here and in previous posts is a good one as well.