Whats the most efficient system to cut and split rings?

Woodworks

1 hour ago, arboriculturist said:

With your Kerpan splitter straight from the trailer, pulling the rings towards you on the trailer with a very light hookaroon - there is no lo-cost simple way - that's our approach to large rings ?

There is a more expensive but easier way - and that is buy our 'like new' 2015 Posch S360 and drop up to 15" rings in there with the 8 way!

This is our 2nd one from WILSONS exactly 3 years old.

The new Posch is £21,500  + vat  with £ 400 + vat delivery. Our Posch S360 is £ 14,500 + vat.

Like you the Firewood product must be right, period. ?

IMG_6958.jpg

IMG_6968.jpg

IMG_6963.jpg

IMG_6959.jpg

IMG_6971.jpg

To be fair the Farmi can take a 40cm ring but all the re-splitting is a faff with the reaching over to retrieve them. As you put it grid cutting on the splitter leaves a perfect product and not a lot slower than rings through through the processor when you have to do endless re-splits. Biggest I would put through the 6 way would be 10" and everything over needs re-splitting for what I am wanting.

Thought you were getting a Tajfun and not a Posch?

Edit. Scrub that I see you are selling that one. As said you have looked after it beautifully by the looks of it. The build and finish on the Posch is great but watching a demo of the Tajfun at the show I recon you have made a good choice. The flaps that lower the log to stop it flipping look very  good and the build quality looks OK

Edited by Woodworks

2 hours ago, Woodworks said:

We have plenty of oversize wood to process in the near future.

When I was looking at working through the "as tipped" logs in the yard I used to work at it was picking the oversized stuff out that took the tie, eventually it was all loaded with a seltagrab on a 360 and chipped.

I like this guy's approach

Because the winch and log tongs haul in oversize and safely suspend over the splitter. I'd be tempted to configure the box wedge a bit more like the machine you posted.

8 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

When I was looking at working through the "as tipped" logs in the yard I used to work at it was picking the oversized stuff out that took the tie, eventually it was all loaded with a seltagrab on a 360 and chipped.

I like this guy's approach

Because the winch and log tongs haul in oversize and safely suspend over the splitter. I'd be tempted to configure the box wedge a bit more like the machine you posted.

Nice idea but pretty slow as is. As you say that Japa system added to it might be good. 

Maybe we are doing OK already. Last time I had a major session on rings I spent the best part of a day bringing the wood up from the field and ringing then the next day I did some of them on the processor and my mate did some on the splitter. Think we did 18 crates in the day. Good/bad I dont know but would always like to improve things.

3 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Nice idea but pretty slow as is. As you say that Japa system added to it might be good. 

Maybe we are doing OK already. Last time I had a major session on rings I spent the best part of a day bringing the wood up from the field and ringing then the next day I did some of them on the processor and my mate did some on the splitter. Think we did 18 crates in the day. Good/bad I dont know but would always like to improve things.

I can't see in reality any faster than that with 10" split to a sensible size.

Before I decided to upgrade to a 480 plus processor, it was planned to buy a Krpan like yours or a Rytec. The 1st thing I would have done would have been to extend the blade by 3" with Hardox to allow for grid splitting of larger rings.

Hopefully with a larger processor all the roundwood will run straight through, with very small amounts ever to ring up.

Spent 1 1/2 hours with Kilworth at the APF as they had one of Tafjun's technicians over from Slovenija. They are going to try to spec. a pump to match my processor tractor's standard belt speed of 540rpm as GDH has issues on max size timber when splitting and cutting at the same time on Oak with 12 way running at 430rpm with same tractor. It missed the optimum power at that rpm.

On 22/09/2018 at 12:35, Woodworks said:

We have plenty of oversize wood to process in the near future. Not planning to buy any new kit just want to find the least labour intensive way to ring up and split it all. Current system is to hold the lengths with the forwarding crane over a trailer and ring as much as I can while it's suspended and then drop the remainder and cut that up and repeat until the trailer is loaded up. I bring the tractor splitter up to the trailer and slide the rings from the trailer on the splitter table and then the logs go into the crates. 

Any bright idea how to improve this with little or no expenditure?

2nd hand 360 fuelwood splitta 

Would be perfect 

I traded one in to willsons back in July as it didn't fit in with my system 

But it was a brilliant machine and the logs are perfect size

I think you have it bang on Beau. Presume you have a nice powerful saw for oversize ringing?

One small thing I might change, the trailer system. I would prefer to log up on a concrete surface with a solid bulkhead back ( If I had an area like this) and scoop up bucket loads with your articulated loader and have those right at my side by the splitter. I know you have the trailer right there as well but I'm sure there is always that little bit of awkward stretching and pulling that needs to be done to fish rings out of the corners, etc to haul across to the splitter table. This system might also eliminate jumping up and down off the trailer as you saw up (presuming you don't operate the saw from the side?).  

Thanks chaps

Cant justify a Fuelwood Splitter. Dont do enough wood but would love one.

Billeting them first. It's possible but I suspect slow. Also putting split wood through the processor the wood tends not to fall well in the splitting chamber requiring correction. 

I think you are right Rowan. I have a piece of flat steel sheet on the trailer which aids sliding the rings around. No concrete in my yard I am afraid nor a backstop but it's a good idea. Yes I do operate the saw from the side. It's only an Ifor and I take the sides off.

As I said earlier I have been over thinking this. Made a start yesterday and rings aren't as heavy as I thought so stacking the rings manually prior to splitting is easier than expected but pleased several of you think rings on a trailer is the way to go.

Personally I use a 20+ton splitter from rock machinery, its not perfect and can be a tediously slow even with an increased flow pump to improve the return cycle time.

Doing around 100m3+ a year, but as a few of the other have said its about splitting rings of arisings instead of processing straight forestry timber, but at less than 2k delivered its paid for itself many time over.

I had looked at the Trakmet LD 45 which is either 12.5 or 25 ton, excellent machine but at £4,250 ex vat for a machine which would need major modification to be usable seems very excessive for such a simple design.

They wouldn't sell a stripped or PTO driven machine cheaper than the 3 phase version, as I would have to rip the 7.5kw motor off or have it connected to a tractor, so it meant buying a separate hydraulic power unit with reservoir and cooler at least another 2k but possibly more as anything larger than 6.5hp is probably better running on red diesel in the long term.

Edited by GarethM

Just a couple of wagon loads. Would like to find a better way to ring it all up as it's pretty clunky and slow at present.

The bloke who imports the growi x-power hires the demo machine out at £350 per day including 2 men excluding transport. Takes up 1m rings and can easily do 50m3 per day. He reckoned 80m3 was doable if it was all over 500mm Would clear your 2 wagon loads in the 2 days maximum.

It’s about 40k to buy as the base model.

• Like 1