Whats the most efficient system to cut and split rings?

Woodworks

We have plenty of oversize wood to process in the near future. Not planning to buy any new kit just want to find the least labour intensive way to ring up and split it all. Current system is to hold the lengths with the forwarding crane over a trailer and ring as much as I can while it's suspended and then drop the remainder and cut that up and repeat until the trailer is loaded up. I bring the tractor splitter up to the trailer and slide the rings from the trailer on the splitter table and then the logs go into the crates. 

Any bright idea how to improve this with little or no expenditure?

4 minutes ago, SbTVF said:

Split the rings into small enough pieces for the processor rather than down to finished size. Put through the processor. Unless you’ve got a fuelwood splitta style processor I don’t see any possible increase in output.

Could do but I love the logs you get from the tractor splitter. The processor doesn't do such a neat job. Secondly I have a chap who helps occasionally and the only kit I can let him loose with is the tractor splitter.

The Fuelwood splitter would absolutely perfect for the wood we have 

Edited by Woodworks

4 minutes ago, SbTVF said:

That’s fair enough. How about If you split the rings into smaller rings that make a nicer log through the processor?
How much is plenty of wood by the way and how oversize?

Just a couple of wagon loads. Would like to find a better way to ring it all up as it's pretty clunky and slow at present.

Edited by Woodworks

39 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

I am undoubtedly over thinking and should take my wife's advise which is JFD ?

I think you have hit the nail on the head.  Wives.  They go to the gym.  Mine goes two or three times a week.  This costs money in membership fees and petrol, and she expends loads of energy for absolutely no purpose.

How about we all train up our wives in chainsaws, splitters, etc; they cancel their gym memberships and we put the saved cash in a beer fund.  It is just a win win situation.

Maybe we should even sell our hydraulic splitters and give the wives an axe - after all, that would burn far more calories and be a much more effective cardio workout. 

I have made a start training my wife as you can in the pic.

Wife saw.jpg

• Like 5

With your Kerpan splitter straight from the trailer, pulling the rings towards you on the trailer with a very light hookaroon - there is no lo-cost simple way - that's our approach to large rings ?

There is a more expensive but easier way - and that is buy our 'like new' 2015 Posch S360 and drop up to 15" rings in there with the 8 way!

This is our 2nd one from WILSONS exactly 3 years old.

The new Posch is £21,500  + vat  with £ 400 + vat delivery. Our Posch S360 is £ 14,500 + vat.

Like you the Firewood product must be right, period. ?

IMG_6958.jpg

IMG_6968.jpg

IMG_6963.jpg

IMG_6959.jpg

IMG_6971.jpg

• Like 2